Chapter 55

During dinner, a mixture of anticipation and stress corseted my chest in a tight grip. The only way for me to get through this dinner was to regularly peer up at Mikey who was sitting across from me at the dining table. Every smile he gave me soothed my fears a little bit.

Sierra was sitting next to him. Asking for the salt, checking the time on his watch, looking at his rings,... She would find any excuse to touch Mikey's forearm while Mikey found any excuse to scoot a little further away from her.

Rindou was sitting to my left. The first time his thigh brushed mine under the table, I almost jumped out of my skin because of how aware I was of his presence next to me. After it happened two, three, four more times, I got used to feeling the fabric of his pants brush against my bare thigh, to feeling his body heat melting into mine..

Our host and hostess, Ran and Ellie, were sitting at each end of the long dining table. Kakucho and Kokonoi were sitting across from each other. Ten minutes after arriving, Sanzu had received a phone call about an emergency he needed to take care of immediately. But I was convinced he had just made up an excuse to leave.

Smart guy. I wish I could have done the same.

'So, Ellie?' Sierra started, pressing her palms together in excitement. 'Are you finally gonna to tell us the big news?'

Ellie grinned as all of her guests turned to her. 'I actually have two announcements to make.' She started and raised her glass. 'I would like to toast to someone who isn't here but who will be in two weeks.' She paused, lovingly rubbing her baby bump. 'Welcome to Aki Haitani. May he be a good namesake to Ran and Rindou's father.'

'To Aki Haitani!'

While everyone raised their glass to Ran and Ellie's baby, my gaze coasted to Ran at the end of the table. Back when we were dating, he used to always tell me about how much he wanted to become a dad, and that having a boy had always been a dream of his. But the look on his face at that moment wasn't the one of a fulfilled future father, nor the one of a fulfilled husband.

'And the second announcement.' Ellie continued, making me look back at her. 'Per Ran's mother request, I've found a venue for Sierra and Rindou's wedding.'

My hand sought Rindou's under the table. I interlocked my fingers with his and gave his hand one squeeze. The silent message was simply a reminder of the promise I had made him in the elevator: "You won't get married to Sierra. I won't let that happen."

When I looked back at Ellie, her gaze seemed frozen on me. The sly glint in her eyes didn't match her warm smile, and I knew that whatever she was about to say next was going to bring trouble. 'Who knows? Maybe Mikey and Y/N's wedding will be next.'

Everyone at the table fell silent and looked between Mikey and me, back and forth.

'Oh, come on.' Ellie gave Mikey and I a pointed look. 'Don't think we haven't noticed how you two look at each other. You're dating, aren't you?'

My lips parted as I looked at Mikey, unsure of whether I should deny or confirm. 

Without taking his gaze off mine, he said: 'We are.'

These news seemed to make only two people happy: Kokonoi and Kakucho. The latter elbowed Mikey. 'Congrats, boss.'

'I should go prepare the dessert.' Ellie said before heading for the kitchen.

It's now or never.

'I'll give her a hand.' I stood up and followed Ellie. 

In the kitchen, she took a big chocolate cake out of the fridge and put it on the counter.