THREE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚 :
SURVIVOR OR PRISONER

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     MALINA WAS THE name of the heartrender they had stolen right from under Pekka's nose

MALINA WAS THE name of the heartrender they had stolen right from under Pekka's nose. And while the woman was gorgeous, she wasn't on top of the drama surrounding her in the underbelly of Ketterdam. It was surprising, seeing as everyone knew everyone's business in the dirty city.

"I really appreciate the new business, but you've only paid for an hour of my time, and I have to be back at the Orchid," Malina informed, her head high as she followed behind the man in charge.

The rest of the Crows surrounded her, not that she had noticed their nervous appearances, all but Kaz. He was the only one who was completely confident of his plan working. Vera was still struggling to grasp how they would get past the front door. All he said was that he'd handle it. I hate how secretive he is.

     "The Orchid isn't safe tonight." Kaz warned, not turning to look at the girl as his sights were set on the large gated house they were approaching, "Your life's in danger with this job. Make yourself scarce for a few days afterward."

     "Mr. Brekker, are you threatening me? Really?" Malina called out incredulously, tilting her head up in pride, "Even if I'm nice, my boss will call the stadwatch on you."

     "It's not me you're in danger with." Kaz stopped walking abruptly, causing everyone to halt and look as he turned around, his gaze harsh, "It's Pekka Rollins."

     Malina didn't hesitate to return, "My boss would call the stadwatch on him as well."

     He cracked a bit of a smirk, "Which is why your boss is already dead." Malina's shock was shrugged off by the Crows who simply approached the gate, prepared to do what they did best, find an entrance to places they weren't supposed to be in.

     The security that Dreesen had hired was out in front in the form of one man, but there were more inside. Already Vera could see the guards standing in the windows of the bright mansion.

     Anything bigger than a single room was considered higher class there. It was a strange place to be in after having only lived in a boat and a palace. Now she was stuck in a humble apartment, barely living off the scraps she was given from a kind old woman who said she reminded her of her daughter.

     Vera found the comparison perplexing, a complete stranger reminded the woman, Lucille, of her daughter. But Vera wouldn't complain. She just smiled and continued to play house. It didn't take long before she enjoyed it. After all, it was the closest she had ever gotten to a good family bond anyway.