ELEVEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 :
THE CUT IS NOT GENTLE

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     KAZ LIMPED ALONG the path, a scowl on his face

KAZ LIMPED ALONG the path, a scowl on his face. Where was Katiya when he needed her? Which way were they supposed to go? This place was a bloody maze. He tried to remember the copy of the blueprints in his pockets as he stumbled into a wide room with a tall, rounded ceiling, a chapel of sorts.

     Kaz could hear the inferni stepping close behind him and knew he couldn't outrun the Grisha. Hell, he could barely outwalk him, even with a head start. So, he found a place to hide just in time for the Grisha to come strolling in.

     The inferni stepped calmly through the chapel, staying close to the long rows of seats, checking each one to make sure Kaz wasn't hidden behind one. Each time he came empty-handed, "You're not supposed to be here, are you, limping man?" An idea hit the inferni and he laughed, a grin on his face as he took to another way of searching, stepping along the stable part of the top of each chair, "You're like a wounded spider in my house. You know what my sister and I do to spiders?"

     A flame lit up in his hand, and as he took another step forward, he suddenly paused, turning to see if he had seen it correctly. He was too late to react though, as Kaz was already standing up from his side, using a metal candle holder he had found to smack the inferni's feet from under him.

     The inferni fell harshly from the top of the seat, Kaz above him, holding the thick metal part. He stepped onto the inferni's arm, the man struggling beneath his cold stance, "Unlike a spider, I only need one good leg. However, you..." Kaz brought the candle holder down onto the inferni's pinned hand, crushing it. Bones snapped and the inferni shouted in pain, but Kaz didn't falter, "Look like you need both hands.

     Kaz then smacked the inferni in the face with the candle holder and tossed it to the ground when the Grisha stopped moving. Not wasting any time he began to hobble back towards the door he had entered, only to stop and turn around when he heard, "Wrong." The inferni was standing, holding a flame in one hand, having snatched it from the candle beside him.

     Suddenly, the sound of footsteps echoed through the room. They were heavy, and commanding. Kaz recognized them. She always had been a heavy walker. That was why it was confusing for him when she never got caught on any of the missions he sent her on. He understood why now, but he had been bewildered out of his mind for years.

     Katiya came walking out of the door they had entered from, looking calm as day with her hands folded behind her back. Kaz glowered at her leisure. He was happy she had taken her time.