SIXTEEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 :
ARE WE STILL FRIENDS?

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     SHE AWOKE TO a sharp pain in her cheek

     SHE AWOKE TO a sharp pain in her cheek. Vera's word became too bright all at once. For one, she was outside the Fold (which still stood tall), on top of a hill, next to a fire, surrounded by Zoya and Jesper, Inej peered over Jesper.

     The blonde slowly looked at Zoya, finding her retreating her hand. Vera connected the pain in her hand to her palm, and blinked at the girl, "Did you slap me?"

     "You weren't waking up," Zoya answered casually.

     Jesper let out a sigh, shaking his head in relief, "We thought you were dead."

     Vera slowly managed to lift her head, looking down at her body. "Well...I'm not." She wasn't dead, but her body was still very weak, the merzost Kirigan had forced out had drained her body.

     "We can tell." Zoya piped, her eyes unamused.

     Vera turned her head to Zoya, giving her a somewhat smug smile, "I can tell you're happy to see me again." She chimed sarcastically.

      "Vera Sokolov." Zoya peered down at her with exhausted eyes, "...The great Devushka-Prizrak, you're alive after all. We thought you died after you left."

     Vera sat up too fast and held her midsection in pain. Jesper offered a hand to help her stay sitting up as she returned, "Happy you had a lot of faith in me. Good to see you alive as well."

     "Please," Zoya scoffed playfully, though there was an air of confidence, "like I'd ever die."

     Vera took a deep breath, "You are very persistent."

     "You know..." Zoya sighed, her voice growing nostalgic, "Even though I didn't like you much, I missed not being able to spar with you."

     "And I missed not being able to throw you on your ass." Vera grinned, looking back at the girl who rolled her eyes. She was able to get into a more comfortable sitting position.

     "I was trying to be sweet." There was a proud look on Zoya's face as she looked at Vera, "Look at you being all condescending."

     "I'd say sorry, but I'm not," Vera said, looking around the group.

     "Glad you're alive and all," Jesper pat her back, standing, "but I'm still freezing." He glanced eagerly at the fire that was burning between rocks.