THIRTEEN AND A HALF

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 :
REUNION

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     VERA DIDN'T KNOW she could be this awkward

VERA DIDN'T KNOW she could be this awkward. Alina was taking a short break from walking, and Vera and Mal had offered to go ahead.  It was quite awkward, as the two hardly had anything to speak about.

"Is it nice living in the Little Palace?" Mal asked suddenly, trying to make conversation with the blonde as they walked further from the resting living sunbeam. "Or was?"

Vera turned to Mal, "I suppose. It was very luxurious. But lonely."

"What are you..." Mal waved his hand around, "you know?"

A smile crept on her lips, "Promise not to freak out?"

"Uh..." Mal looked at her unsurely, "Maybe?"

"I'm a shadow summoner." Vera blurted, peering at him through her peripherals.

Mal stopped in his tracks, "No way." He gaped at her, looking back at Alina who was quite some distance from them.

"Yes, way."

"But..." Mal's face scrunched up in bewilderment, having only ever heard of one other Shadow Summoner besides the General.

"Have you ever heard of Kirigan's Second in Command?" Vera inquired, her hands behind her back as she looked around the woods around them, trying to spot anything that could give them a clue to the direction of the Stag. Any bush, footprint, anything.

Mal stumbled over his feet slightly, "That was you?"

"Mhmm." Vera nodded casually, reveling in the sight of Mal's internal crisis that was happening.

"Wow... " Vera felt Mal look her up and down, likely searching for any scars. Besides her hands, he didn't know of any. But those were covered again, "You don't seem..."

"What?" Vera offered a laugh, "Old?"

Mal considered her answer, "I was just going to say evil. But yeah...you seem very young."

"For a summoner, I am very young." She narrowed her eyes at him, trying to decipher whether he was as young as his tired companion, "Around your age I presume."