EPILOGUE

𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 :
THE CALM BEFORE OR AFTER THE STORM?

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     VERA HAD BEEN in a bad mood for so long it seemed permanent

VERA HAD BEEN in a bad mood for so long it seemed permanent. It had been a few days since the big fight went down and the Grand Palace had quickly got its shit together. But even though Vera was settling into her new position, she had been out of it.

It was worse than in Ketterdam because now when she was lost in her mind, she was also extremely negative. Even today, the day of Nikolai's coronation, she was staring off at the wall, picking at her outfit. She was being dressed up in a fancy coat. The public's view of a General was ridiculous.

     "Why aren't you in a dress?" Genya's voice sounded scolding. When Vera looked at her, she understood why. Genya was wearing a beautiful aquamarine dress, one that complimented her bright hair nicely.

     "I'm the General." Vera blinked, "I wouldn't wear a dress to the battlefield."

     "You wear a kefta." Zoya's voice came from behind her, she turned and found the girl catching up in a light purple dress with green accents, "Practically the same thing."

     Vera offered a small grin, "We wear the strangest things."

     "Come on," Genya scolded, walking past them to a room, "we were supposed to be in Alina's room five minutes ago."

     The three girls entered, seeing Nikolai standing close to Alina. The two in the room paused for a moment before Alina spoke up, motioning to the girls who now had cheeky expressions on their faces. "Oh. Genya, Vera, and Zoya are my escorts."

     "Well, I shall leave you to it," Nikolai said before walking through the girls, offering each a nod. He faltered at Vera, "See me before."

Vera nodded, "I will."

With that, Nikolai left the room. Right after the doors closed Zoya piped, "Well, that one's a mess. " Zoya had a confident look, "I could fix him." Vera raised her eyebrows at her as the rest of the girls laughed at her words. Perhaps someone with an attitude like Zoya's could calm Nikolai's. Vera didn't think it to be a horrific idea.

Genya moved to Alina, placing her hands on her cheeks to observe her makeup, "You really could have asked for my help instead of whatever team Nikolai sent. I miss pulling straw from your hair after scrapping with this one."

Zoya watched Genya as she took the seat next to her and called out, "We're on the same side, now. I mean, as much as that might be boring, I'm actually rather pleased about it."