FOUR

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧 :
ACCIDENTAL WORDS

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     THE CROWS HAD hurried back to the Crow Club after being dismissed, leaving Malina outside of Dreesen's house to do whatever she pleased

     THE CROWS HAD hurried back to the Crow Club after being dismissed, leaving Malina outside of Dreesen's house to do whatever she pleased. They did warn her to stay low, but they could never be sure she listened (unless they heard a whisper of her passing).

Once they made it inside the noisy building, the group separated. Kaz, to try and find a lead in the files in his office. Jesper, to try and get a drink before he started to watch the doors, which he was not getting to and wouldn't for a few hours at least. Inej followed after Kaz, a contemplative expression on her face. Vera could only imagine the argument the two would get into now.

Vera knew that Inej was on her side. They couldn't leave Ketterdam, but Inej literally wouldn't be allowed to unless she were given permission. Inej was tied down, stuck in a contract with the Menagerie.

The blonde was not oblivious to the horrors that occurred out of the Little Palace, in fact, Kirigan enforced them. Once she escaped she learned it was to make her fear the outside. But even when she was younger, trapped in the palace walls, being fed dramatic stories about disturbing cannibals and Grisha hunters (not that she needed the second one, she knew those well), she couldn't have ever imagined the nightmare that was the Menagerie.

After learning what Inej had gone through, and survived, Vera placed the girl on a much higher pedestal than the others she had met outside Ravka. She was everything Vera wanted to be. The Suli woman was brave and had strong faith. She was angelic, beautiful, and brutal at the same time. Most of all, Inej was able to function without her past haunting her every move. At least that was what Vera thought.

Kaz is a talented planner, but going into the Fold? There's no way he'd be able to find a way through. I only know of one way and it's not one I'd like to take again. Vera huffed at the thought of Arken. The Conductor. Ugh.

Arken tried to make small talk the entire trip, and he had assumed she was an average inferni (he had told her without her needing to ask). She didn't tell him he was wrong. The poor bastard had no clue what he was in for. Bringing a shadow summoner into the Fold. What a fool.

She knew she would have to speak directly to Kaz if she wanted him to stop, but she doubted she could get him to half his plan for revenge. Any way to undermine Pekka Rollins made him practically jump for joy, in his moody, bloodthirsty Kaz way.

Was there even a man under those thick gloves? Was Dirtyhands all a persona, or was that all there was to the infamous Kaz Brekker? Vera wanted to know. Vera wanted to know badly. What made the man tick? Hell, what made any of the Crows tick? Everyone was a mystery to her. And she was just as much a mystery to them.