TWENTY ONE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚 :
MENTEE LIKE MENTOR

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     "THEN YOU TAKE your hands and move them out—like this

     "THEN YOU TAKE your hands and move them out—like this." Kirigan attempted to demonstrate but realized that Vera wasn't watching him at all. "Vera? Vera?" He waited for the young girl to turn up in confusion before he questioned, "Why are you not following my lead?"

     "I don't want to learn this..." Her lips were formed into a pout as she looked down at the grass of the forest. She didn't want to be dangerous. She didn't want to have a weapon (even of her own powers) that could cause such deep harm to others.

     "I'm afraid you must." Kirigan did not seem regretful in the slightest, "While we are hunted, you must learn the Cut to protect yourself."

Young Vera looked up at the man with wide eyes, "But you said you were protecting all of us?"

     Kirigan's lips straightened for a moment as he kneeled beside the girl, "I try my hardest Vera." He took a deep breath, as though this had haunted him for years, "But I cannot be beside you every moment. You must learn this, to protect yourself. One day you will be like me."

     Little Vera looked up at the man, finding the idea fascinating. To be like Kirigan would be like a dream come true. Setting Grisha free from their chains and helping the world? She couldn't imagine a better future. It was like the sun was shining right on him, an angel in her eyes.

     "Vera." His voice was calm as he crouched before her so that they could make eye contact, "One day you will become great. I promise you that."

Vera didn't believe his words. It didn't sound like it could be true for even a moment. "Like you?" She asked, her voice quieter.

     A bit of pride showed on his face as he nodded, "Yes. Like me."

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     Vera was watching Kaz speak, but she had to admit: She wasn't listening and hadn't been the entire time.

The sound of Kaz flipping through the book he stole from the building was heard as he voiced, "Looks like Pekka made a move on more than just the Crow Club while we were away. He bought out all of Fifth Harbor."