SEVENTEEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 :
NOT A MINUTES REST

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     KETTERDAM WAS STRANGE to Vera

     KETTERDAM WAS STRANGE to Vera. It was far different than her small home in Fierda (at least, from what she remembered) and much different from the Little Palace.

     From what she had seen, death lurked around every corner. Quite literally. She had seen the bodies of people bleeding out. But no one stopped to help. Not even her. Vera wasn't a healer, nor did she know anyone around who could help. It would do no one any good.

     Vera learned quickly to keep her body as small as she could. Her kefta had been ditched long ago, instead replaced by clothes Arken had given her. It was all he had done for her. He had just ditched her, left her outside of the train with a single bag and a message: "Don't tell anyone about this." And then he had run.

     She hadn't been in the Fold before, as she was warned against it on many occasions and quite frankly not allowed out, but she was sure it wasn't the worst time ever. He had crossed so many times, it seemed impossible. Surely one of them had to be worse.

     But, without the aid of any kind besides the dark clothing that she now wore (her lefts had been abandoned long ago, long before Arken knew it was truly black. She adorned a red one when they met, Baghra's orders), she was alone in the dangerous streets.

     Luckily, Vera caught on quickly.

     1. There is a permanent stench floating around the city. Don't question it. 2. Don't stare. At anyone. No one enjoys it there. 3. Find shelter. You didn't have to purchase it, but finding a roof over your head would benefit you a lot in the long run, especially if you were to linger around the city. 4. You have no friends. Don't trust anyone.

Finally, number five. Steal your way to living. There was a rule amongst those in Ketterdam, the rule of thieves. If you stole it, it was yours.

     The second day since her arrival in Ketterdam, Vera spotted a man dressed in a well-furnished suit surrounded by guards. Her target was big, but she figured by not starting big and seeing what came of it. The worst that could happen was she got caught and had to fight her way out, ditching Ketterdam in entirety. The moment the guards turned their back, she struck. His pocket watch was strangely easy to snatch. Or maybe it was because when he tried to look for the perpetrator, all he saw was the dark shadows.

Vera checked her surroundings, seeing a small feminine figure moving in the darkness of the alley. But not on the floor. No, the girl was holding onto a window, watching her intently. Once the girl realized she was spotted, she jumped up and slipped into the night. Vera could only leave the scene of the crime with no idea who the girl was.