TWENTY FOUR

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧 :
IT'S A SHAME NOTHING LASTS FOREVER

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     IT WAS ONLY later that day, only an hour or two to the next, that Vera found peace in her mind

On the rooftop of the building she had met Wylan and Nina in was the night's safe place. She left the chaotic path of destruction Kaz was causing and could simply relax. The sirens signaling Firepox were still ringing, the panic still at large. People were barricading themselves in their homes. The streets were the emptiest Vera had ever seen. She had never experienced Firepox, and by this sight, she was happy she hadn't.

But she wouldn't be given such peace for long. A shiver went down her spine before she heard footsteps behind her. She turned around quickly, knowing that she had to stay aware. However, once she saw the figure standing about ten feet away with his back to him, she froze.

"Aleksander?"

The man turned, and Vera could only stare with wide eyes. There were three dark long scars scratched across his face. His kefta looked new.

Vera's eyebrows furrowed as she stared at the man, feeling a pit of hurt in her stomach. Why was he here? Injured? Was it her mind playing tricks on her? A hallucination that he had survived? Did that mean that she had wanted him to survive?

"Little Vera." At his voice, she shook her head. She was truly insane now, wasn't she?

"You're dead." Vera blurted, her hands reaching back to hold onto the ledge. She needed something to stabilize herself.

Kirigan tilted his head slightly, maintaining his strong stare on her, "I am?"

"You're supposed to be." Vera looked down slowly, "That's what they said." Zoya had been the one to tell her. Was she wrong? Did she lie? Perhaps she was misinformed.

"People lie," Kirigan spoke casually. As though this wasn't a strange situation.

Vera was irritated by his words, her eyes harsh as she glared at him, "Don't paint yourself as a Saint."

"You should have stayed with me on the Skiff." Kirigan began to step forward, "You know that we weren't made to be separated. You must be feeling it, this—"

Vera interrupted him, "I've just thought of the most perfect word to describe you. Delusional." Kirigan's face darkened at her words, and he opened his mouth to speak but she continued, "If you think I didn't leave Ravka—or you, on my own accord, you're wrong. I ran and didn't look back."