THIRTEEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 :
THE BIGGEST THIRD WHEEL EVER

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     THEY HAD SNUCK around for a bit until they climbed on a higher vantage point and saw that the soldiers had given up their search and returned to town long ago

     THEY HAD SNUCK around for a bit until they climbed on a higher vantage point and saw that the soldiers had given up their search and returned to town long ago. They stopped at that point, the girls resting on a broken log on the ground as Mal looked over the woods below.

"Here." Mal offered Alina a canteen. The girl took it, drinking it, practically chugging it. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down." Mal urged, knowing they had scarce resources.

"So, we're talking now?" Alina asked, offering Vera the canteen. After a few seconds of hesitation, Vera took it with an appreciative look, only taking a few sips, wanting to leave more for the other two (mostly Alina, because she had no idea who this Mal guy was, and Alina seemed mad at him anyways). No matter the small amount, the soothing liquid helped her dry aching throat all the same.

"Should be safe now, yeah?" Mal asked, oblivious to the girl's anger. Alina reached for the closed canteen and took it, then she tossed the canteen at Mal, hitting him in the back, "Oi!" He called out, whipping his head towards the sun summoner who stood up to meet his eye.

"Where have you been?" Alina asked, her voice hurt. Vera tried to act like she wasn't listening, even though it was very obvious she was.

"I've been tracking you since you left the palace the night of the fete," Mal answered.

"So now I have your attention?" Alina laughed incredulously, "It's been months, Mal. You couldn't be bothered to reply to a single one of my letters."

"What?" Mal furrowed his eyebrows, "I never heard a word from you. I wrote to you nearly every single day."

"Sure, you did. What, long, heartfelt letters about your exploits with gorgeous Squallers?" Vera raised her eyebrows. There's a story behind that surely. "Are you still afraid of Grisha women?" What kinda relationship do these two have? She blinked at the arguing pair.

"Only ones that keep secrets from me." Mal called out, "How long have you known?"

"That I was Grisha? You thought I knew?" Alina sounded offended by the accusation.

"You cheated on the test when we were children. You cut your own hand." Mal argued. Vera turned to Alina. She cheated on the test? Wish I had done that. Then I wouldn't have ended up here. Actually... I wonder where I would be if I hadn't been caught as a Grisha so young.