"Can I kiss you?"

CC's Pov

I heard screaming and banging coming from upstairs, but I didn't have the energy to go see what was happening. I just sat on the couch contently watching the news with Crystal curled up around my feet.

That girl really got me thinking. She was so outgoing and jumpy, but then on the other hand she is understanding and compassionate. She is very beautiful as well, but it seems that she attempts to mask her beauty with blood and fear. And that brings me to her eyes. What are those about? I know she didn't choose pure black contacts for fashion.

"Hey CC?" I heard her quiet voice call to me from the floor.

"What's up?" I responded, choking on my words as I did so.

"Are you afraid?" she asked, her voice fading into a whisper as she spoke.

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. I swallowed the spit that had accumulated in my mouth and answered her honestly. "I'm not sure."

"I am." she said. I noticed her body begin to shiver, so I reached down and picked her up onto the couch as she continued. "I act all big and strong but I'm really not. I'm so god damn nervous and I don't know what to do anymore. I act all big and tough, but truth is CC... I'm so, so broken inside."

Hot tears began to pour down my cheeks. "Why are you telling me this?" I questioned, wondering why she confided in me and not her brother or Cat.

Crystal smiled slightly at my question. "I'm not really sure. Chris doesn't seem to be much help, considering he's scared out of his mind, and Cat frankly doesn't care. I'm all alone in this, and you just seemed like the person who would understand. Sorry if I made a fool of myself."

She was about to get up and leave when I quickly pulled her into my arms. I felt her body racked with sobs as she slowly wrapped her arms around me.

"You didn't make a fool of yourself. You know what takes more courage than fighting all the zombies in the world? Having the guts to admit that you're scared."

"I'm not scared," she responded, " I'm terrified."

I laughed and began to rock her back and forth on my lap. "Well then we can be terrified together."

"CC?" She asked again, lifting her head so we were staring into each others eyes. My heart stopped beating completely. "Hey CC?" she prodded, since I had not answered the first time she called.

"Yes Crystal?"

"I-Do you..." she paused for a moment. "I'm sorry it didn't work out with you and Ashley."

I took a deep shaky breath before restating what Ash had told me earlier. "It just wasn't meant to be."

"One last question..." Crystal concluded, sitting up in my lap.

"Ask away," I responded, straightening my own posture as well.

"Can I kiss you?" she asked as her cheeks turned the brightest shade of red that I've ever seen.

Since I was too stunned to speak I did not give an answer, but instead leaned in and connected our lips.