Happily Ever After

Chris's POV

I had found it. A cure. I knew that the cure was farfetched and hard to obtain, but it would be worth it. It was the only thing to save Ashley from turning into a mindless zombie. I knew how much stress Ashley's infection was putting on Cat and Crystal, and this was, sadly, the only way to help. As I sat on the couch once everyone had filed out of the living room I felt the couch shift. I looked to my left and came face to face with a smiling Jake. "Hey Chris," He said, tilting his head slightly. "It's super cool that you found the cure and stuff, but... you sure it will work? I mean, I don't want to go around killing people if it isn't going to amount to anything. Not that I care about Kina... but..."I laughed at his rambling and looked down at my hands, which were folded on my lap. "Sadly, no... I am not sure, but I think so. I have been researching it since this damn thing happened and all signs point to this." I answered. He nodded before responding. "I guess thats cool." I wasn't sure what to say to that so I just nodded. "You never act scared," Jake went on... "you just tend to distance your self. Why?"The memories came flooding back like a tsunami. My dad... the pain... Crystal. I struggled to hold back tears, but composed myself and answered his question. "I am terrified.. I just... I guess... I mean," I struggled to find the right words. "I guess that was just how I had to grow up. I was raised in an environment where if I acted scared I would be given something to be afraid of. If I shed a single tear I would be beaten until I couldn't cry anymore. I just... yeah.." Jakes smile fell from his face and he pulled me into a hug. "I am so sorry. I shouldn't have asked." I told him it was ok, and snuggled closer into his embrace. "Truth is, I haven't been this close to anyone, other than Cat and Crystal, in years." I paused and sighed. "It feels nice." Jake leaned down and planted a soft, short, kiss on my cheek. "I'm glad. You're a really nice guy. There's nothing to be afraid of. Once we get the cure everything will go back to normal and we can live happily ever after."I laughed at his cheesy choice of words, but found myself smiling despite myself. Happily Ever After didn't seem so bad.