Translucent

Crystal's POV

We turned down the corner of Kina's street, being quiet as we did so. Jake was giving my brother a piggy back ride in front of me and I couldn't help but smile.

Chris was such a great guy, and he deserved to finally be happy.

Just as a small smile began forming on my lips I was stopped in my tracks by a familiar growling sound. We all took out our weapons and huddled together protectively. As soon as we were in battle positions, a group of thirty plus zombies turned the corner. They must have been on our trail the whole time we were walking.

I saw Chris daintily get off Jake's back and pull a metal bar from his satchel. Andy grabbed Ashley's arm protectively and CC came over to my side.

As the Zombies were slowly making their way towards us I heard a sickening sound from behind me. I swiveled around on my heels just in time to see Ashley throw up on the street. He stood back up when he stopped.

"I'm good," he said, reassuring us all.

I got tired of waiting for the zombies so I ran forward, while the others followed close behind me. This had almost become a game for us. Running into battle like we are defending Sparta...

"Crystal! Cat! Chris!" I heard Andy yell from behind me. I turned around, as did Cat and Chris.

"Ashley won't get up!" Andy screamed, falling to his knees, shaking Ashley's still figure.

I motioned for Cat to go help before returning my attention back to the threat at hand.

"CAT!" Chris said at the top of his lungs. "It is the zombies! The closer he is to them the faster he turns!"

That makes sense, I thought as I continued fighting.

After what seemed like forever, the last of the un-dead had been killed and we all sat down on the blood stained pavement.

"Is everyone ok?" CC asked, pulling me onto his lap.

He was answered with a chorus of mumbles and complaints.

I looked around at us once more. We were in no way a bad ass zombie apocalypse team, but we managed. We were all held together by the common goal of survival and love. Jake had Chris. Andy had Ashley. Ashley. He just seemed to pull everyone together. The weaker he got the harder the rest of us fought. Maybe having him around wouldn't lead to our impending doom after all?

As I looked around I noticed Ashley was huddled up in Andy's arms, shaking ever so slightly.

I smiled before locking eyes with my brother.

His eyes were a lovely shade of green. Kinda like jade, but softer and more translucent. You could almost tell exactly what he was thinking just by looking into his eyes. That was one thing I always disliked about my brother...

He had my mom's eyes.