Angel Eyes

CC's POV

I held Crystal in my arms and rocked her back and forth as we watched over a sleeping Ashley. I heard her mumbling to herself, but thought nothing of it. Then, I heard her voice stutter and shake, "we're e gonna die". I spun her around so she was facing me and pulled her closer to me. "Don't say that," I said, looking her sternly in the eyes. "I promise you, we are going to live." She shook her head no vigorously and pulled away. "You know that Ash is gonna turn. When he does no one is going to kill him. First Andy or Cat is going to die, than it is going to be me or you. I already know that." Tears began falling from my eyes as I listened to her speak what I knew was the sad truth. Ashley was all of our achilles heels. Without him we would fall. I shifted forward and once again wrapped Crystal in my arms. "I love you... so much... and I just want to make that clear," she said, choking out the words slowly. I don't mean it when I pull away and stuff... I'm just... I don't know..." Her solid black eyes were watering but she continued to speak without breaking down into tears.She rambled on for a second as if no words fit how she was feeling before she stopped mid sentence and looked at the ground. "Can I tell you something?" she finally stuttered after making sense of herself. Tears filled up her eyes but she bit her lip like she always when she got nervous. That was one of the things I loved about her. "My eyes are blue," she whispered, her voice barely a whisper. My mouth dropped open as she turned around slowly in my arms after struggling to remove her contacts. When she was facing me my heart stopped beating completely. Her eyes were a light blue with hints of grey in them. They resembled the sea just before a storm, and the build up of tears just added to that comparison. "They're... beautiful... You're beautiful," I swallowed before continuing. "Why do you want to cover them?"She chuckled before beginning, "I get my eyes from my dad. He was a handsome man on the outside, but... well... you know the saying that eyes are the gateway to the soul?" she paused, "Thats a lie because my father didn't have one. He was a cruel, soulless man who took pride in his drinking habits. He would come home late at night and beat," her top lip quivered as her tears shed faster, "beat the living shit out of me. He would look down on me with those beautiful eyes, and every time I looked in the mirror I could only see him... I hate my eyes... "I was speechless. By the time she was done talking I was a mess. I didn't know what else to do but cry into my love's shoulder. Cry like a baby. I hated crying, but now that I knew about her evil past, there was nothing else to do. I finally looked up at her and could barely get the words, "I'm sorry," out of my mouth. I let out a huge sigh and sat upright. My hands took hers and I looked into those beautiful blue-gray stormy eyes."Crystal. I promise, from the bottom of my heart," I gulped. "I will never let anyone hurt you. I will never let anything like that happen to you ever again."She looked up at me and smiled, "too late...."