Unhappy

Mitch sighed as he watched the band talking during their lunch break. Lately he just didn't feel like he fit in with the group. They never seemed to get him involved in anything and sometimes they didn't even seem to listen to his input on songs for their group. No one had noticed that for the past week he hadn't had any lunch during rehearsals because eating hurt, it just made him anxious and upset. He felt like he had no support anymore, he'd lost his closest friends and even his best friend, Scott, didn't seem to want him there anymore. 

He left the room and went to his car and grabbed his music book from the glove compartment before locking his car and going back to the room, no one noticing his movements as if he'd become a ghost and no one could see him. He went over to the piano and began playing a song he'd written which he was planning on calling The One That Got Away. He didn't even look to the music book and after the first note he closed it and moved it to the top of the piano so he wouldn't have to see the descriptions of each part, even though he could remember everything in there. He didn't even need to look at the piano, he just leaned back and looked up enough to show he what he was doing but not enough to stretch his voice and prevent it from performing properly, he still kept his roots in music in mind even when not paying attention to it.

Summer after high school when we first met, we'd make out in your mustang to radio head

Mitch sung with his eyes close but tears already running down his face, remembering his life back then. He remembered making out with Scott in his Ford '05 Mustang, he remembered having to break up with him, he remembered their friendship before then and how it'd grown into something truly beautiful and sincere like that. He remembered Scott's face when they broke up, remembered crying himself to sleep each night for hurting him. He remembered everything and as he sung, his voice hitched in emotion, something he usually didn't let happen, purely because he thought it seemed unprofessional. 

Meanwhile, Scott was listening to the depressing and dark song, although it took him a second to realise it was about him. He'd forgotten that he and Mitch used to date, he'd forgotten how close they used to be. He turned to look at the band who were watching Mitch with pained looks, seemingly also feeling the pain he felt listening to the depressing song.

and on my eighteenth birthday we got matching tattoos, used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof

Kirstie looked to Scott, finally seeming to realise what that meant. They had all spent enough time drinking on Scott's roof and the boys both had matching tattoos. She saw Scott looking down at his skull tattoo with a pained look. She laid her hand on his thigh gently just so he knew she was there for him.

Mitch had tears pouring down his face. He used to want to be with Scott so badly, they were always together growing up but, now, he'd learned that he couldn't be with him even as friends because Scott didn't want to. He could almost feel Scott's reaction to the song and it hurt his heart because he genuinely didn't feel like they were ever going to be friends again.

Kevin was watching Mitch with a pained expression. He'd gotten really close with Mitch over the years and he could feel the pain he felt, as if he was him. He felt sick because he should have known how Mitch was feeling and included him more. 

talk about our future like we had a clue, never planned that one day I'd be losing you

Mitch sung his little heart out no matter how much it hurt. He always performed and every time he did anything, it drew in the attention of everyone around him, even if he didn't notice it. Scott was watching Mitch break down and he hurt because he knew that for some reason, he was the one hurting Mitch so badly.

in another life, I would be your girl, we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world. In another life, I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away, the one that got away