Maps

Mitch laid down on the couch in the rehearsal room waiting for the rest of the band to show up. He was just thinking about the old days, when he and Scott were actually friends and he felt like Scott knew everything about him. When they were always there for each other, but lately, Scott wasn't there for him. He didn't know about when he was hospitalised last year, or why he was in therapy. He turned his head as the door opened and smiled seeing Austin walk in. He stood and went over to hug his best friend as the rest of the band walked in laughing with each other. Mitch hadn't felt so alone before as he buried his face in Austin's chest.

"You alright, Mitchy?" Austin asked his best friend softly as he held him tightly, as if to protect him from the world around him.

"Yes, actually, I wrote a new song whilst waiting for the rehearsals that were supposed to start an hour ago to start, that I might give to our dolls, wanna hear it?" Mitch asked pulling back before walking towards the piano with Austin following him and sitting above it to watch his favourite singer perform for him.

"Alright, whenever you're ready," Austin spoke as he looked at Mitch who nodded thoughtfully.

"I don't have a name yet, for the song I mean. But it's about this past year," he spoke causing Austin to frown.

"Are you sure you wanna perform it here? I can wait until we go home," Austin spoke knowing how hard it is for Mitch to show the world his emotions lately.

Mitch just nodded before beginning to play the song, his eyes closed as his fingers danced the keys.

I miss the taste of a sweeter life
I miss the conversation
I'm searching for a song tonight
I'm changing all of the stations

Austin frowned knowing instantly what that meant. "Is this about..." he spoke causing Mitch to nod as he began the next verse, not realising the tears already falling down his face as he performed to the best of his ability.

I like to think that we had it all
We drew a map to a better place
But on that road I took a fall
Oh, baby, why did you run away?

"Mitchy," Austin whispered causing Mitch to shake his head, just wanting to get it over with. Austin hated this, Mitch was being so raw but he could still hear Kevin, Kirstie and Matt laughing with Scott, the person he knew this song was about.

I was there for you
In your darkest times
I was there for you
In your darkest nights

Scott heard this and turned to look at Mitch playing the piano whilst crying causing him to gesture for the others to shut up and listen, not realising the song was about him. Austin stood and walked behind Mitch and began rubbing his shoulders softly, the rest of the band visibly seeing Mitch relax.

But I wonder, where were you?
When I was at my worst
Down on my knees
And you said you had my back
So I wonder, where were you?
When all the roads you took came back to me
So I'm following the map that leads to you

Austin bent and whispered in Mitch's ear softly, "this is Scott, right?" he asked getting a nod as Mitch, as emotionally drained as he was, continued to sing.

The map that leads to you
Ain't nothing I can do
The map that leads to you
Following, following, following to you
The map that leads to you
Ain't nothing I can do
The map that leads to you
Following, following, following

Scott wondered what he was singing about and frowned, not knowing because he used to always know what Mitch thought, but what happened to that relationship, because he didn't have a clue. He just got new friends and suddenly he wasn't close with Mitch anymore. And what did 'I wonder where were you, when I was at my worst down on my knees' mean.