His Last Words

Scott could not take it any longer. He wished it would all end. The feeling of self-hatred. The feeling that he wasn't good enough and that no one really wanted him around. It didn't help that his best friend had recently gotten into a relationship and completely pulled away from their friendship.

Mitch spent almost all his time with his new boyfriend and Scott was alone in their apartment. And Scott couldn't take it. His playlist went from his own happy music with Mitch and the rest of Pentatonix to songs about depression. He lost his ambition and passion for music. He has hit the Great Depression.

His arms became scarred and jumpers became his best friend, replacing Mitch, his once confidant and once a closest friend, now almost stranger. Scott would begin his lonely days by waking around six am then work out. He'd write Mitch a letter to go to rehearsals alone, when Mitch was in the apartment, then leave to exercise until 11. He'd continue working out while waiting to record his part before going home. When he got home he'd shower and change before shoving headphones on and going to lay on the grass at the local park. He'd stay there for a good few hours before going home. He'd walk in and see Mitch rushing around, he'd hug his friend before going upstairs without speaking. He'd listen to music with his headphones until he fell asleep. He'd always listen to two songs on repeat, over and over again.

Mitch withdrew himself from their friendship as his boyfriend encouraged and although all he wanted to be a girls night with Scott, he couldn't. Scott was in over his head thinking his friend never wanted to speak to him again. Scott couldn't take it anymore.

One night Mitch had been gone for a few days and Scott figures he wasn't coming home for a long while. So he went out of his bedroom to the living room, not wearing a sweater to let his arms heal slightly, and began watching TV. He put Spongebob on but the yellow sponge wasn't as captivating without his yellow sponge with him. So he quickly turned it off.

He stood and went to the kitchen grabbing a bottle of champagne. He took it down the stairs to the basement and sat at their grand piano. He drank a few gulps of alcohol before standing and playing his most listened to song, Her Last Words, through the speakers. He slowed the song down to really appreciate the lyrics blasting through them.

He put the sweater that was on the couch on his body, not caring that it was Mitch's. He laid down on the couch listening to the lyrics and replying to them as they spoke.

"Just an average girl, she always wore a smile, she was cheerful and happy for a short while," the lyrics sang.

"Sounds about right. Although, I can't remember being happy, ever. Can you?" Scott replied as he drank some more champagne. Mitch, who had come home to spend time with his best friend heard Scott talking and sat on the stairs to their basement, out of sight but close enough to hear his friend, not that Scott didn't know he was there. He'd always known where Mitch was.

"Now she's older, things are getting colder, life's not what she thought she wished someone had told her, she told you she was down, you let it slip by, so from then on she kept it on the inside," the words continued.

"Life is harder as you get older. I shouldn't need to tell anyone how I feel, they should just know. They're my best friends. At least, I thought they were," Scott spoke gently before drowning the rest of the champagne.

Mitch was confused, who was Scott's friends? Because if he's on about the band then they are Scott's best friends and they notice everything about him, don't they? What is his best friend hiding and why didn't he know about it?

"She told herself she was alright, but she was telling white lies, can't you tell, look at her dull eyes, tried to stop herself from crying almost every night, but she knew there was no chance of feeling alright," the song was sung gently.