11. Distracting

The Starfall was in two weeks. Mike and Eve had noticed the change in the Inner Circle. They were subdued and Amren (who had warmed up to the two) had gotten a shorter temper. Eve guessed the reason... it didn't take a genius to figure it out. So, Eve decided to distract Mor while Mike distracted the boys. Amren was left alone as neither knew how to distract her.

One morning Eve approached Mor enthusiastically. "Hola Mor," Eve chirped. "Hello Eve," Mor said, her voice a bit low. Undeterred, Eve said, "The Starfall is coming up in 2 weeks," Mor grunted in confirmation, "I was hoping you would help me pick out something to wear. Maybe a bit scandalous." At this, a bit of light came back to the female's eyes. "How about tomorrow afternoon?" Mor asked and Eve grinned.

Mike had whole heartedly taken the job to distract the two Illyrians but right now, he was regretting his decision... a lot. What way to distract them than ask them to teach him techniques and watch them fight, right? Well, he was wrong. So wrong. His back was sore, he was pretty sure tears decorated his cheeks along with sweat. His arms felt like wooden logs and he was pretty sure Azriel was smirking at the moment. "You done?" He asked, arms folded. "No," Mike panted, "I still got some energy left." Az sighed; he didn't know what had made Mike train for three hours when he usually only did 2 with Eve. Speaking of which, Eve was long gone for her day out with Mor. He missed her.

"Yeah, you are done," Cass commented after he threw a punch making Mike stumble and fall back to the ground. He cried, "I think- I am- dying." Az rolled his eyes at his exaggeration while Cass just helped the boy to his feet and led him towards the shade.

"Now Mike, see how we actually do it," Az said as Cass came back. The actual fight began in the training ring. Hey! At least Mike distracted the two for some time.

*******

"That was gorgeous," Mor said as Eve left the seventh shop. Eve's plan was going successful so far. She had been finding at least one fault in each and every dress... making their fashion trip last longer with banter. At the moment, she was even letting Mor ask about her mystery crush.

"Is that why you are being extra cryptic today? You want to impress somebody," Mor asked. Eve shook her head, "Starfall is celebrating the beauty of this court. And I intend to enjoy it by ending the night in my bedroom," Mor whistled, "than in a torture cell like last time. But, that doesn't mean I am trying to actively impress someone," Eve said.

"So.. with your crush?" "With sleep," Eve replied and Mor groaned, "you are no fun. Come on, one clue!"

"Fine," Eve relented, "He has dark hair and beautiful eyes." Mor gasped, "Azriel!"

"Wait, so you think he has beautiful, pretty eyes and amazing, soft, dark hair?" Eve smirked. "You cheeky little-" Mor started cut off by Eve's laughter.

In the end they bought Eve a hot pink dress. While leaving, a dark-haired male flirted with Eve who just rolled her eyes and taking Mor by her hand, left the store. Mor didn't stop her teasing till they went back to the House where Az and rest were waiting for them so that they could finally eat.

"He was totally flirting with you," Mor insisted. Azriel stiffened a bit. "Who?" He asked, hoping not so sound too curious. "No one," Eve replied but at Mor's look sighed and added, "well, ok fine, he was flirting- this guy at the store we went to- but it's not like I wanted to go out with him." Mor put her hands up as if in surrender, "I just wanted you to admit it." Eve sighed and made her way inside where she hoped to eat cupcakes for dinner.

The dinner went well with Mike and Eve describing their favorite movies to the Inner Circle. And while Mike told them about how wonderfully the Harry Potter franchise was shot, Eve added things they missed from the books. The two debated on whose house was best; Eve was a Slytherin while Mike was a Ravenclaw. Az sided with her while Mor believed Hufflepuff was the best. Cassian sided with Gryffindors. Amren became the pacifier after she had her fill of entertainment.

*****

"Another late night?" Eve asked as she sat on the couch and saw Az come in. "Couldn't sleep." Eve nodded. "You?" he asked. "Homesickness, I would have gone to Mike but he is snoring," she shrugged.

"You know, you two are so resilient and brave. I can't imagine what it would be like to be just taken away from everything familiar in a snap of a moment," Az told her, sitting beside her. She smiled softly and he was pretty sure his heart did a somersault. "Thanks, but honestly, if I didn't have Mike, I wouldn't have survived."

Az stayed silent not knowing what to say. At last, he asked, "Can you tell me something interesting? That you learnt in your world." Eve instantly brightened up and started telling him about what she had learnt in psychology. Az found this interesting, he knew how to read people and this new subject gave him a deeper understanding. He also liked how her eyes twinkled or the way she gestured her hands while explaining and how her head tiled to the side whenever she was deep in thought or trying to figure something out.

They spent the rest of the night distracting one another. Az was describing the places he had been while on his spy-work when he looked at her to find her snoring softly, her head on his shoulder while two-three shadows danced around her. As if, singing her to sleep. 

Happy reading!

XOXO,

the amazing author