55. The battle begins

Feyre left to find the healer blinking back tears while Mor held Eve tightly, her face taut. "The agony she was feeling-" Mor gulped. For, unknowing to Eve, while seeing her memories, they also felt her rage, pain, agony and confusion. Along with how Eve' heart ached profusely for Mike, how alone she felt here- in a world she had no part of.

Az stayed in his place- his face giving out nothing even when his heart was aching for Eve. Even when his eyes held rage- such world-ending rage.

Cassian gulped from where he sat on the chair, still healing. His eyes had tears in them, just like Nesta's. "She was about to kill herself," Cass said softly, trying to digest what had almost happened. Silence ensued. If Az had been a second late......

"She needs to rest, we will come back later," Rhys said finally. One by one, they left until only Azriel remained.

The healer bustled in and checked his and Eve' wounds. Sighing, he sat on a chair, facing her sleeping figure. Blood coated his hands but he did not pay attention to that nor did he mind the pain in his wings or cared about its state as the healer checked his wounds. His mind whirled only with her and what Hybern did.

Rhys was in the war tent along with Cass and where he should be- discussing about what Eve had seen and how much she had destroyed. Eve was smart- she had somehow managed the queen to tell her about her army which would only show up on the last battle before setting her on fire. She had helped so greatly in this war- they might just have a chance at winning it- but at what cost? Herself? That did not sit well with him one bit.

Eve groaned. Her arm was burning and she felt so weak. Someone was holding her hand- no, Az was holding her hand, she would know those hands anywhere. Blinking, she took in her surroundings- only Az was here this time, staring at her intensely.

"What was the diagnosis?" Eve asked finally. "Bedrest. Your wounds will heal in a few hours," he said, his expression stone-cold. "And yours?" A beat of silence. "I will be fine soon enough."

Two of his shadows came and curled around her throat. They must've said something as the very next moment Az was handing her a glass of water. Eve did not refuse- her throat was burning up. They did not talk. No, they just held one another as Eve closed her eyes once again.

The next time the healer came in, Eve was awake and complaining to Rhys. "I can walk," she argued. Az shook his head. "You need to rest and walking isn't resting," Rhys shot back. Eve fumed, she wanted to do something. "I will go mad sitting here with nothing to do. Let me help," Eve persisted.

"You already have helped a lot," Az said quietly. Eve huffed. "You burnt down half of the Faebane, bit of their weaponry and showed us their number and state. You have no idea how much that means in this war. So, now, it is time you let us do something and yourself rest." Rhys said gently.

The flap of the tent opened and Mor ducked and entered along with Feyre. "You have company tomorrow, don't worry," Feyre said.

"Sleep," Mor said, coming to stand beside her. Eve whined like a child making her chuckle. "Night Eve, try to stay where we can see you," Mor smiled and kissed her forehead, hugging her tightly. Eve, who hadn't been expecting so much fussing or worry, awkwardly soothed Mor.

After everyone filtered out after awhile of light bickering and chatting- all except Az who refused to leave her side- Eve sighed. "I am never going to be able to sleep," she said. Az contemplated for a second before motioning her to move. He then lay down beside her making her huff. "Your hulking body is taking half of the space," Eve grumbled. And for the first time in hours since they rescued her, Az broke into the smallest of smiles. The very next second a surprised Eve was cuddled alongside the Shadowsinger, encased by his wings.