14. An enemy

The next day Eve got up with a smile on face that led to a very suspicious Mike who troubled her till the time they reached the hall. "Seriously, what the hell happened? What did you do to my Eve, you clone?" He asked, bewildered as they sat facing each other. The others just raised their brows in amusement and chose to be spectators on this occasion.

Now Mike knew she had gone out with Az last night (as friends, ya ya) and that might be the reason she was smiling but Eve never before had been this giddy with any of her other dates. So, Mike was sure something was up. And if the only reason was Az, then he might just have to give him a standing ovation for making Eve genuinely smile for more than 3 minutes (he had kept a timer once), especially now, when they had come to another world.

"I told you.. nothing. I just am looking forward to today," Eve said trying to suppress her grin and failing.

"See I would totally believe you but we both know you and smiling and looking forward to days these days isn't normal. I mean I am happy that you are, don't get me wrong, but what Earth-shattering event took place for it to happen is my concern. Uh-oh, you didn't stab someone did you, or made an enemy?"

"Oh my god no, but I have half a mind to punch you right now." "Ouch." Eve sent him a death glare before going back to her pancakes. Cassian chuckled, "you do look a bit flustered."

"Oh my God, can't a person have their breakfast in peace here!" Eve exclaimed after swallowing her food. Az suppressed his grin, hopefully she was happy because of last night.... He certainly was.

"If you must know, Mike, we got a studio to practice our music," she said nonchalantly.

"What- why- when- how- I-" Mike sputtered. Eve laughed. "We have Az to thank for that," she raised her glass filled with juice towards him in acknowledgement. All heads turned to him, he just shrugged, his shadows covering half of his body. "Thank you, you might just be my favorite person," Mike said. Eve threw a piece of toast at him. "After Eve of course," he amended himself.

******

That evening they tried to shake things up a bit. Since, they were yet to write another song, the two entertained the crowd with few pop songs, after giving proper credit of course. By the end of it, Bri' café was full, all clapping at their performance. Eve smiled and gave a flourishing bow before joining the Inner Circle along with Mike.

"That was amazing!" Mor squealed. Eve grinned. "Of course, it was." Mike said, straightening his non-existent tie. "Man, I miss the music and dance," Eve sighed, suddenly feeling nostalgic. Mike patted her hair which she waved off. "I know, me too," they leaned on each other as they continued the conversation with Mor now joined with Cassian.

Az couldn't help but want her to lean on him for support instead of Mike. Clearing his throat, he went for a drink. By the time he returned, Mike and Eve were already gone to set some things up in the studio while the Inner Circle were merrily eating and chatting. They would join the two later, after Amren came and gave them whatever news she had just received.

******

"Now Amren, will you tell us what came up so sudden that you missed the duo's fantastic performance and dinner?" Cassian asked. He was a bit tipsy.

Amren for once did not glare at him. "The human girl has agreed to the three tasks and claims she loves Tamlin," her expression was of stone. They all stared at her dumbfounded, and with a bit of daring hope.

*****

The next few days, the duo kept their distance from the Inner Circle. Something had their minds occupied and they did not want to disturb them as for once, whenever their eyes glazed, it did with bit of a hope.

"I am bored," Eve announced as she entered Mike's clean bedroom compared to her chaotic-organized one. "Join the party," Mike replied while laying down and staring at the ceiling.

"I want to trash something." "Tell me something I don't know."

Mike knew Eve was reaching her point. It was only for so long she could keep her pretenses, masks and walls up. And although, she let them down with him every night, this was different. For Eve, smiling and acting optimistic right now was worse than listening to someone lecture her. Even if she still remained the same sassy, sarcastic, competitive, logical, caring self, she missed how she was on Earth. The routine, the eateries, everything. And Mike couldn't disagree. No matter what, he didn't think they would ever get used to this world of Fae. I mean they didn't even have showers!

"What do you want to do Mike-y" Eve asked after some time. "First, Mike-y is out of question. Second, let's eat cupcakes and roam." Eve internally groaned but gave in. At least it helped Mike who she knew was just as done as her.

"Is it weird if I say I miss Serena?" Serena was her and Mike's long-time enemy. "No, I do too. Man, it was fun bickering and winning against her," Mike sighed.

"You two are the ones who sing in Bri's café, aren't you'll?" A voice said as they browsed through the different selections of bakery. "Hmm." "Yes."

"You are wonderful," the female said enthusiastically. Though Eve found an undertone of jealousy and anger she thanked her nevertheless.

"I mean, for a human at least." There it is, Eve thought. Mike and Eve looked at each other and decided to ignore the female. This seemed to piss her off more. "I could do much better than you two you know."

"Is that why you are here? To prove yourself by disturbing our peace with your annoying voice?" Eve asked, rolling her eyes. The female hissed. She probably was going to say something but a voice called her. "Watch your back human."

"You know what Eve?" Mike hummed in glee. "What Mike?" Eve grinned. "I think we just found our Serena 2.0." Eve gave him a high-five.

Some would say they were mad. Getting an enemy wasn't something to celebrate about, but, for them, it was a semblance of home, it was a distraction, it was a release from all the frustration building up in their bones, it was familiar. Especially, when Serena and Serena 2.0 looked so damn similar. 

Happy reading.

XOXO,

the amazing author