29. Back to Velaris

They found a cave again and Lucien laid Eve down who gave out sounds of agony every now and then... even when she tried to keep it inside. Feyre combed her hair through Eve's hair muttering words of comfort even when she knew it would be of no help.

"Tell me about Elain," Lucien asked her. And maybe it was to distract herself from Eve's state or that they might not last long now, but she did.

The next morning, they started to make their way through the Winter Court. Eve felt a bit better now that the climate had gone ice cold- it kept the sweating she seem to have at bay. "You can put me down Lucien, really, you both have done enough," Eve said weakly. Lucien sighed, "no. You are staying on my back, and don't you dare think we have done enough... we haven't," he said the last bit quietly. "Please," Eve said, she hated being dependent on someone else. Lucien sighed but at Feyre's hesitant nod, put her down slowly.

"Tonight, we'll melt some of the ice pack enough to soften it—and build a shelter." He said after putting her down and stretching a bit.

"Maybe you can teach me how to build a fire... I think I might be well enough to try again and the power too... it is getting too much, like it wants to burn me." Eve said quietly. Lucien felt a stab in his heart but nodded nevertheless. "Of course," he said softly. Eve smiled for the first time in days. A small hesitant one yet, still a smile.

"You think we'll be out on the ice for that long?" Feyre asked. She hoped not. "Likely, but who knows how far it extends?"

"It's like Ice Age," Eve shuddered. Her two companions looked at her in confusion but she paid no heed to it as she saw something orange move in the white background. "What- did you see that?" she asked the other two, panicking.

"See what?" Feyre asked, on alert in an instant. And then, they turned and saw Eris, a fireball in his hand, smirking. Oh shit. And then, they ran.

*****

Go, Winter Court. Now. Mor will act as distraction. Rhys' order came. The High Lord's order came. Az had been already practicing in the training ring and it took him and Cassian less than two minutes to open their wings and make their way towards Feyre and Eve.

When he came to the view, his heart hitched. Eve was whimpering as one of the brothers had her bound with fire. Lucien was struggling and then there was his High Lady. Feyre.

With a snarl that echoed across the plain, he and Cassian slammed in front of their friends and family. Eve whimpered when she saw the two healed warriors.

"I suggest you drop my lady." Cassian said with such calmness that if the brothers had any wisdom in them, they would start running.

Eve watched as Cassian's eyes slid to Feyre's and she hit Eris squarely. Lucien followed her suite and Eve, with one final breath, released bit of her hold on her magic that had been fighting her to be set free since yesterday when the effects of Faebane had completely subsided. She let ice bite her skin, clashing the fire that bound her and then she moved, moved away from the brothers to where Feyre now stood, in the shelter of Az' shield. Cassian was already on the brother whose magic had held her and Lucien fought on the other side. Eve let out a whimper, her hold on magic was loosening.

Feyre rushed to Eve's side. "Leave," Eve said hoarsely when she saw Feyre nearby. "I can't- I can't hold it in longer please, run." Feyre shook her head. Instead, she looked to where Cassian was now fighting Eris, "stop." They obeyed.

Eve had fallen to the ground by now. She curled into herself- as if she was a baby. "No, stay put," she told to her powers. The battle inside her blurred everything else. Someone crouched near her. "Get away," she croaked. But the figure ignored her. It picked her up bridal style. The scent was familiar but Eve couldn't place it. It helped. She finally took the reins again- though it did cause her to lose enormous amounts of already depleted energy.

At his High Lady' command, Az went and stood beside her. Eve was on the ground and it broke his heart. He hadn't seen her in weeks after everything that had happened. And now, the first glimpse the Mother gave him was of her whimpering. He cursed the Cauldron and gently picked her up. Her scent filled the air and the rage and agony calmed down a bit.

"You all deserve to die for this. And for much, much more. But I am going to spare your miserable lives," Feyre spoke. Eris's lip curled and Cassian snarled his warning.

Feyre finally removed the glamour from her hand. "I am High Lady of the Night Court," and the Autumn sons stopped breathing for a moment. Then, "There's no such thing as a High Lady." Feyre's lips curled and formed a real, proud smile, "there is now."

Feyre turned towards them. "Take me home," she ordered looking at Cassian and then him, "Take us all home." She then turned towards the Autumn bastards, "We'll see you on the battlefield." Pride filtered through Az for his High Lady.

"I want to go home," Eve suddenly whined. Now that Eris and his flock were gone, Az finally gave himself the allowance to look at Eve with undivided attention. "We are, we will reach Velaris soon." he said. "Not Velaris. Home." Az heart cleaved into two. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who is swamped with assignments with 0 motivation whatsoever ... prob lstn to songs and finish some of it.... life is great