56. The battle

They were about to leave. Ready to go to where the Cauldron was hidden when Eve fell to the ground and Nesta stumbled. Eve felt it- the exact place where the King was going to use the Cauldron' powers. The blast that would echo throughout the fields, killing hundreds.

"No, no, no. Cassian! CASSIAN!" Eve screamed, but it was nothing compared to the horrific scream that Nesta gave out, calling out for him.

Cassian had heard them and was halfway through when the blast echoed. The power bringing down the shields put by armies of the Prythian. And where once lay the soldiers- was ash. Eve doubled over while Az held her by the waist.

Another blow. More massacre.

Then after a dreaded minute, Eve sighed. The Cauldron had gone quiet again- probably to regain some strength back before attacking.

Cassian finally came back and Eve whimpered- he was alright. He didn't look at anyone but went straight to where Nesta lay with her forehead to the ground. "What is it. What is-" he breathed, rage and devastation dancing in his eyes. "It's gone quiet again," Nesta breathed, letting Cassian haul her into a sitting position as he scanned her face.

"Get back in line. The soldiers need you there." Rhys ordered, not an expression on his face. Cassian bared his teeth. "What the hell can we do against that?"

"I'm going in," Azriel said and Eve' breath hitched. "No," Rhys snapped but Az didn't listen as he readied his wings. He was a soldier after all and he would die as one today if it came down to it- Eve understood that even if stones settled into her stomach.

"Chain me to a tree, Rhys," Azriel said softly. "Go ahead." He began checking the buckles on his weapons. "I'll rip it out of the ground and fly with it on my damned back."

Eve stared at the battlefield Az was about to enter. Helion, Tarquin, and Kallias struggled to hold the lines. Jurian, Tamlin, and Beron still battered the northern flank, while the Illyrians and Peregryns slammed back the aerial legion; Keir's Darkbringers now little more than wisps of shadow amid the chaos. It was not enough. And Hybern' sheer size was beginning to push back.

Eve looked at Amren. Now or never.

Before Amren could say something, a horn sounded. A fleet of ships came near the horizon. Dozens, hundreds, Eve lost count. They were trapped between Hybern' army now. Nowhere to go, no way to run.

Amren swore. "We might need to run, Rhysand. Before they make landfall."

"Azriel," Rhys said quietly. Hoarsely. "You lead the remaining Illyrians on the northern flank." Guilt rippled in his eyes at the command. Azriel didn't give Rhys a chance to reconsider. With one last look at Eve, he shot into the sky, those still-healing wings beating hard as they carried him toward the scrambling northern flank. Eve sent her prayers with him.

She did not make him promise her that he would return to her- she would not make him promise something so fragile when they all might just die today.... horribly. She would not ask that of him. He would go and do his best and return- Mother' will. 

The High Lord then turned towards Cassian. "Take the southern flank."

Another horn blasted- this time from the east. Rhys went up with Feyre. Cassian and Nesta soon followed when she demanded to be taken up.

Eve turned to Amren instead on looking at who had come- enemy or ally. "I will go at the edge of the field. Call onto it. Play the game."

Amren nodded, "and I will unleash myself then."

Rhys came back down, his face holding disbelief. Drakon and Miryam. Feyre' father and Lucien and Vassa. Aid had come. It had finally come. With renewed strength, Eve turned towards Amren who nodded.

Chaos ensued once again. It was time.

"See you on the other side," Eve said and winnowed away just as Rhys' eyes widened.

******

She winnowed right at the edge of the battlefield, near the queen's army where a few soldiers from Winter Court held stance. Taking a deep breath, she readied her powers as the used to be mortal queen's soldiers started coming at her. The queen herself was nowhere to be found but the soldiers still fought on the king of Hybern' command.

She let her training take over. Slash. Duck. Parry. Fire. Stab. Ice. She let her instinct take over, doing whatever felt right at the moment- magic or swords, though only using a bit of her power, saving it for later. She mostly used ice to compliment the Winter Court warriors though.

When the last one of them was down, Nesta winnowed in along with Cassian and Rhys. "You cannot just winnow like that without telling us where the hell you went off to," Rhys snarled. Eve- bruised and tired- snarled right back. "If you ever-" he started again. "Later," Eve interrupted and snapped at him. "When we survive, you can pester me all you like," she added a bit softly. Rhys gulped and after hugging her once, he winnowed to where Helion called onto him.

The soldiers- whoever were left- nodded at her once before leaving to help the others in the middle of the field. Eve watched them go and sighed as the last one left- clearing the area for her.

"Did Amren tell you?" Eve asked Nesta who scanned the field. She shook her head, "just that you might need a boost of sorts." Eve huffed at that. "I am going to gather my power- or rather now you are and I am going to put on a show to call him away from the Cauldron. We will distract him while Amren unleas- does what she needs to do." Nesta nodded.

"Cass, get ready," Eve said hoarsely. He nodded grimly. They all knew it but didn't dare voice it- they might die today in less than a few hours, no matter the hope they were hoping against odds that seemed to tower over them- a looming figure choking them down.

"Ready?" Nesta asked Eve, closing her eyes to gather every inch of magic she could control.

Eve took a deep breath, closing her eyes. When they opened again, hues of orange and blue danced within them. 

"Ready."

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author

Ok, so the updates r going to slow down a bit now... like once a week kinda thing. Also, only a few chaps are left for this fanfic. Its sequel/part 2 will come out in Jan or Feb '22 (latest) ... well at least that's what I am planning.