~ Chapter Forty-Five ~

Olivia was in tears as she thought about what her baby sister had told her. Their Mama has a brain tumor, but there is no treatment. It was beyond scary, especially since she hadn’t seen or even tried to talk to her mothers in several months.

“Liv?” Rafael asked gently, as he looked his wife’s face over. 

“I think she’s in shock. We should get her something to drink and just let her process everything.” Lucia frowned.

“I’ll get her some water.” Stephanie spoke, as she kept Atlas steady in her arm.

“Thanks, Steph.” Rafael spoke, before turning back to look at his wife. Olivia was still staring ahead blankly, as her hands shook in her lap.

“Rafael, what do you want me to do?” Lucia frowned.

“I haven’t seen her like this in a while, Ma. I don't know what to do, and I’m married to her… Maybe take the girls upstairs and I’ll have Stephanie bring Atlas up when she gets back.”

“Okay, sweetie. I just hope she snaps out of this soon so we can help her. I hate seeing her like this.” Lucia frowned, and Rafael nodded.

“I do too, Ma.”

Lucia and Stephanie took care of the babies as Rafael continued to sit with his wife. It took a while, but eventually Olivia turned and looked at her husband as tears slipped down her cheeks.

“I’m a horrible daughter, Rafa. I haven’t talked to my Mama in months, and now she’s dying? What if… what if we never make up? Or if she never gets a chance to meet our babies?” Olivia whimpered as tears continued to blur her vision.

“We will make things better, my love. In the morning, we will see them. We can bring the babies and make things better. We can apologize, and hopefully they will too. Does that work?” Rafael questioned, and Olivia nodded.

“It does… thanks, Rafa. I’m just so scared.”

“I know, love. I’m scared too, honestly.”

///

After the triplets had ate and had gotten their diapers changed, Olivia and Rafael packed up for their first real excursion with the babies. Lucia offered to tag along, but Olivia knew she needed to talk to her moms alone. Well, alone and with Rafael.

“What do I say?” Olivia asked, as she glanced over at her husband. 

“I don’t know, honey. I guess get information on her condition and apologize.” Rafael replied, before letting out a yawn.

“I want to apologize for the distance and for some of the things I said… but her behavior in regards to Charlie is still unacceptable.” Olivia whispered as she played with the hem of her shirt.

“I know, and I believe that it was unacceptable, too. But she’s dying, Liv. I don’t think you want her to die, and for you two to still be not on good terms.” Rafael frowned.

“I miss my moms, Rafa. I wish they could have been there when the babies were born, but I don’t think we will ever end up in the same spot as before the fight. But hopefully we can try to mend it a bit.”

“All we can do is try, my love. Now, I’m going to pull over because I’m pretty sure that I heard Viola spit out her pacifier. She’ll be wailing in a few moments, and we want to prevent that.”

///

Once they arrived at the Benson house, Olivia got out of her vehicle slowly. She stared up at the house for several moments before Rafael stepped into her view.

“Here’s your sling. I thought we could get one of the babies out and in this, and then I can grab the other two.”

“O-okay.”

“Liv-”

“I’m honestly terrified of what they will say. What if my Mama is too shaky or something and she can’t hold the babies without help?” Olivia asked nervously.

“Steph said nothing about her being shaky or anything. She made it seem like there was just a mass in your mom’s brain and that is all. No additional symptoms.”

“She could be hiding them.” Olivia mumbled, before taking the sling from her husband and moving to grab one of the babies.

Once all three babies were situated, Olivia and Rafael moved up the path and to the front door. Olivia stood there for a moment, but before she could even knock, Debra opened the door.

“Olivia?” She asked, her eyes wide with shock.

“Hi, Mom.” Olivia breathed, as tears burned her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” Debra questioned.

“Steph told me about Mama and her brain tumor… Rafa and I came over and see you two. I’d like to apologize for the things I have done wrong.” Olivia frowned.

“Okay, well, your mother is upstairs taking her medicine. But you can come in.” Debra spoke, as she stepped out of the way. Olivia walked in and her husband followed close behind.

There was a lot of awkward silence as Rafael sat the carrier’s down and took Viola from Olivia’s sling. Debra didn’t really look at the babies, which made Olivia angry. She had expected her mother to at least ask about them, but she didn’t even attempt to do that.

“Olivia?” Serena asked, as she came down the stairs. Olivia looked at her mother and didn’t really see any changes in her, but she knew that she might not notice any changes at all. Maybe not until her mother declined towards the end.

“Hi, Mama. How are you doing?”

“I’m okay… what are you doing here?” Serena mused.

“Steph told me about your tumor. Rafael and I wanted to come over and see you. Let you meet the babies. Mom said you don’t have much longer, and we didn’t want you to pass without making up.” Olivia frowned.

“I don’t have much longer?” Serena questioned as she looked at her wife. 

Debra gave her a look, before Serena nodded as she forced tears into her eyes.

“I don’t have much time at all. But I’m so glad you came over, and I’d love to meet those babies. Stephanie said you had two girls and a boy?” Serena smiled weakly, and Olivia nodded.

“Yeah, Mama. Atlas is our son, and then Viola and Genevieve are our daughters.” Olivia smiled before moving to proudly show off her babies.