~ Chapter Seven ~

Olivia and her family were spending the week after the funeral in Vermont. Olivia planned on spending time with Mrs. Turner and Regina’s fiance while also trying to get caught up with Rafael. 

“I’m glad that you were free to go out for lunch.” Rafael smiled when he picked Olivia up from her hotel.

“I really don’t have anything to do today. Mrs. Turner and Regina’s fiance are both taking a few days to recover and then I’m going to help them clean up things.” Olivia spoke.

“If you need me there-”

“I don’t want to force you into anything.”

“We were best friends, all of us. You wouldn’t be forcing me into anything… I can remember the sleep overs at your place or Regina’s, and we’d be up to all hours of the night. You two would make me play with your dolls, and then we’d tell ghost stories.” Rafael chuckled.

“I miss the days when everything was simple and neither of us had gone through hardships… when Regina was still here.” Olivia frowned. She stopped by Rafael’s rental car before sighing.

“I miss those days too, Liv. But everything happens for a reason, no matter how painful it can be. So do you want to actually get something to eat or just drive around and talk?”

“If you have time, maybe we can do both.”

“I’d like that.”

///

They ate lunch together before driving around the back roads for a bit. Olivia nor Rafael had been to Vermont before, so they had a lot of things to see. But they also had a lot of things to discuss too.

“I’m really sorry about your father, Rafa. I know that you two were close.”

“I always looked up to him. When he passed, my mother couldn’t do much of anything for the longest time.”

“We all really loved him, Rafael. It sucks that I just found out and I couldn’t help you when it happened..” Olivia breathed as Rafael pulled over onto the side of the road and parked the car.

“Can we not talk about him? It’s still super hard. I’d like to talk about you. Your family and your work…” Rafael trailed off, and Olivia nodded as her face grew red. She didn’t want to make Rafael uncomfortable, but she talked about his father so she didn’t have to talk about herself.

“My family is good. Steph had a baby, which is Matilda. That little girl is my best friend and I honestly spoil her rotten.” Olivia smiled weakly.

“I saw her, and she looks a lot like you. But then again, all of your siblings look alike. You take a lot after Serena.”

“We do…” Olivia trailed off. She looked down at her hands as Rafael watched her from the driver’s seat. He eventually reached over and gently tucked some hair behind her ear.

“Something is bothering you, and I’d like to help you. Do you want to talk about it?”

“Regina just died.” Olivia breathed.

“I know, but that isn’t all that is bothering you. C’mon… you can trust me.”

“I know that I can trust you. I just don’t like talking about what happened. I’m trying to get over it, but it’s hard.”

“Okay, then what about we get some drinks? Maybe go for a hike?” Rafael offered, and Olivia let out a genuine laugh.

“Olivia Benson rarely hikes, Rafael. You should know that.”

///

As the months passed after Regina’s death, the pain from her loss didn’t sting as badly. But Olivia was still grieving her loss, and Elliot’s loss too, even if he was still alive. She threw herself into work and tried her hardest to not take out any sudden anger on any of the crew members.

Eventually, Olivia was almost a year shy of Elliot abandoning her, and she was doing better. She was doing therapy occasionally, and she and Amanda took up boxing to take their anger out. She was making new friends and not getting into trouble as often, so overall she was doing well. And she was happy. Like really happy.

“Alright, we have a new ADA.” Cragen sighed, as he came out of his office.

“Why?” Olivia questioned plainly.

“Because they have transferred ADA Novak to a different unit. She is trying to get a promotion, so she is done slumming it with us.” Cragen spoke.

“Do you want one of us to welcome her into our crew? Make sure that this new ADA doesn’t hate us from the start?” Amanda asked, and Cragen nodded.

“Yeah. So Rollins and Benson are in charge of that.” Cragen smiled.

“Why us?” Olivia and Amanda huffed in unison.

“Fin isn’t a people person, Nick has a pile of paperwork to finish, and Munch doesn’t get off his ass. So it’s your job. Make him or her feel welcomed.”

Once Cragen went back into his office, Amanda and Olivia gathered their items before heading out of the squadroom.

“Did Casey tell you that she was leaving?” Amanda asked, and Olivia shook her head.

“Nope. She and I rarely talk anymore. We get into arguments and then she ignores me for months.” Olivia grumbled.

“Do you think you’ll like this new one better?” Amanda mused, and Olivia laughed and shook her head.

“I really don’t like new people. You are the only exception.”

///

They arrived at the courthouse not long after arraignment started. They stood outside and waited for a while before heading in once the judge called a recess.

“There are like at least twelve lawyers here and three ADAs… I don’t know who is ours.” Amanda spoke, as she tried to see if she could pick out the lucky ADA that had to deal with their bullshit.

“I guess we can just wait and-” Olivia started, but she stopped when someone called her name.

“Olivia!”

“Rafael Barba?” Olivia questioned as she turned and smiled at her old friend.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I could ask you the same question.”

“Well, I’m an ADA for a unit here in Manhattan. I just have to meet my squad.” Rafael smiled.

“If you haven’t met your squad, then why are you here? You don’t have assigned cases yet.” Olivia spoke.

“I just came to watch. Now, can you tell me where to find Manhattan Sex Crimes? I don’t know where the sixteenth precinct is.” Rafael spoke, and Olivia smiled softly.

“I would like to apologize.”

“Apologize for what?” Rafael questioned.

“You got assigned to my squad. I am going to be the biggest pain in your ass.”