prologue

Jess Mariano hated Ballet. He didn't understand why people did it. All his life, he had heard Ballet horror stories about how they were forced to starve themselves or practiced for hours without a break. So how come he travelled to Vienna to watch the art?

He was sat next to a couple and their two small children. One of the children, a girl, was standing up on the seat next to him.

"I want to be a Ballerina princess when I'm older." She babbled.

A princess, what a stupid thing to want to be. He thought. "That's nice." He replied to the girl.

He faced the stage, waiting for her to enter. Elegant women and men twirled around the stage. He hated it. He hated it all. He wanted to leave but he remembered the promise he made to her.

"I promise that I'll be there to watch your debut." He reminisced.

She laughed and responded with "You hate Ballet."

Though it was true, he spent hours watching ballet tapes for her.

The little girl accidentally bumped into him. He shot up but then stopped when he finally saw her.

Her beautiful mousy blonde hair was slicked into a bump-less bun. Her slim legs were wrapped with white tights. A perfect white tutu hugged her hips. He smiled and sat back down.

She did pirouette's, pliè's and entrechat's. Jess remembered the first time he met her, she was practicing a routine in Miss Patty's dance studio. He was about to go into the studio when she had finished but then he saw her kiss Him. Dean Forester.

Jess was enchanted by Camille's performance as it came to an end. He got up to go closer to the stage in hopes of talking to her. He expected her to go back stage but instead she went into the audience. Did she remember the promise that he made years ago? Was she looking for him?

A huge smile spread across his face. He wanted everyone to disappear so it would just be the two of them. But that feeling fizzled away and was replaced by emptiness when he saw her kiss someone else. Someone who he had met before. She was kissing Dean Forester. Jess's mind was filled by the memory of Camille kissing Dean when he first saw her. He dropped the bouquet of flowers - sunflowers, daffodils, dahlias and daisies - and walked away from everything.

Then he woke up, she was next to him. She was sound asleep, her messy blonde hair was draping over her face, her perfect rose lips were  slightly parted. He brushed the hair out of her face and snaked his arm around her waist.

She was his, he was hers.

There was no 'Dean' anymore. Jess and Camille were married, they had a child. Camille quit Ballet years ago. So why did he have the dream that his happiness was taken away?