chapter thirty nine

Camille was in her room, reading Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. She had already read this but it was on of her favourites.

"Hey, Camille it's Luke." Luke knocked on the door. "Can I come in for a minute?"

"Hey, what's up?" Camille asked.

"Not much." Luke answered. "Can I-?"

"Uh, yeah, come on in." Camille invited him.

"So I see you're reading." Luke pointed out.

"Yup." Camille nodded.

"That's good. Studying is very, very good. What you're doing right there with the books, very good." The man rambled on.

"Thank you." The blonde smiled.

"Okay, look, I wanted to ask you a favor." Luke started. "Oh. Uh. I was wondering if you could tutor Jess."

"What?" Camille questioned.

"He's not doing too well in school. The principal said he's not gonna let him move on unless something changes. I was wondering if you could help since you're his girlfriend and all." Luke suggested.

"That doesn't make any sense, he's smart enough to pass any subject." Camille refused to believe that Jess was failing.

"I don't think it's his lack of smarts, more like his lack of proximity to the actual classes that's the problem." Luke told her.

"Ah." Camille mumbled.

"Yes." Luke replied.

"Okay, what subject does he need help in?" Camille asked.

"I'd say all of them, probably." Luke answered.
"Look, I don't expect you to work miracles and it doesn't have to be a full time everyday thing. If you could just get him through a couple of his next tests, maybe make the school see that he can do it, that would probably help out a lot."

Camille agreed to mentor Jess.

***
Jess wasn't doing anything that Camille told him to. He was doing magic tricks, asking questions and procrastinating. Camille was starting to get annoyed and Jess was getting restless.

"i'm sick of studying." Jess announced.

"how can you be sick of studying?" Camille questioned. "you haven't done any studying. you've done card tricks, you've made coffee, you've tried to explain to me how on earth Coldplay could be considered an alternative band, but as of yet, no studying."

"that's your car?" Jess pointed to a car outside.

"yes, it is." Camille replied.

"okay, tell you what. let's go get some ice cream, and then when we get back, I'll study." the boy bargained.

"this is a diner, there's ice cream here." Camille stated.

"yes, but we don't have any cones." Jess made an excuse.

Jess wanted ice cream in a cone.

"right so if we get ice cream, in a cone." Camille started. "then you will be a perfect student for the rest of the night?"

"that's right." Jess agreed.

"Fine here's the keys, you drive." Camille sighed.