chapter eleven

Camille wasn't sitting at her normal table in Luke's. Usually she sat with Rory and Lorelai but today she was sitting at the counter.

A pancake with the words 'I'm really sorry' was scribbled across it in messy chocolate sauce.

"Rory wanted me to give this to you." Luke told her.

She looked at Rory who was staring at her. Then she turned back to face Luke.

"thanks but i'm not hungry." she declined.

Luke went off to talk to Lorelai about what she wanted. Jess came down the stairs wearing a plaid shirt and a backwards cap.

"What do you think you're doing?" Luke questioned him.

"working." he answered.

"So you think this is funny, huh?" The man inquired.

"I'm sorry. I thought this was the uniform." Jess's voice was dripping in sarcasm.

Camille was trying not to laugh.

"Okay, you know what, that's fine. Have your little joke, you know. It doesn't bother me at all." Luke mumbled. "You just go over there and clean off that table, okay? I'm ignoring you. You do not exist."

"Okay." Jess responded.

"That's it, get upstairs and change." Luke demanded him.

"Whatever you say Uncle Luke." Jess smiled.

"It's Luke, just Luke. Mister Luke. In fact, don't address me at all." Luke called after Jess.

***

"Aren't you sitting with Rory?" Paris asked Camille.

"No." She replied.

"Why not?" Paris questioned.

"Something happened." Camille was trying to shut down the conversation as quick as possible. "Did you read my article?"

"Yes, I thought it was great." Paris complimented the girl.

"Thanks." Camille smiled.

"We have to talk." Rory walked up to the table. "Alone."

"Okay." Camille replied.

She got up from the table and walked out of the hall with Rory.

"I don't want anything to be awkward." Rory admitted. "I hate not having my best friend."

"Rory, I haven't got a problem with you." Camille reassured her. "Yes I think that you should have told me that you like Dean but he was the one who kissed you."

"I'm so sorry." Rory apologised. "I won't date him if you don't want me to."

Camille shook her head.

"You should date him, I hope he makes you happy." She smiled.

"Thank you." Rory grinned as she gave Camille a hug.

"I'm gonna go to the toilet." Camille informed Rory.

Rory walked back into the hall. Camille went into the bathroom and called Lorelai.

"Independence Inn, Lorelai speaking." The woman picked up the phone.

"Mum, can you come pick me up?" She asked. "I feel sick."

"Umm sure but i'll have to get back to work after." Lorelai accepted.