chapter twenty seven

The house had termites so Lorelai got the girl's up at eleven o'clock at night to go to Sookie's.
Rory and Lorelai ended up having an argument. Rory couldn't find Lane.

Camille knew when things like these happen, she should stay out of it. So now she was getting changed after doing Ballet. She was getting changed into low bootcut jeans, a black cropped top and a red, cropped zip up hoodie. She struggled to put Doc Martens but she did in the end.

"hey." someone startled her.

"oh hey." she tried to get her heart rate back to normal.

"you look pretty today." Jess complimented her. "but you look pretty every day."

"thank you." Camille smiled.

Jess kissed her, he wrapped his arms around her waist. Camille wrapped her arms around his neck.

"do you wanna go somewhere?" Jess asked her in between kisses.

"where?" Camille questioned as she pulled away.

"anywhere, you name it." Jess told her.

"umm, anywhere but home is great." she shrugged. "Mum and Rory are in a fight."

"why do you call Lorelai 'mum'?" Jess inquired.

"well when my parents died, she took me in and raised me so she's as close as a mum to me:" Camille explained.

"that's...cute." Jess smiled at her.

***
"No, no, no, no, no, no, no." Paris freaked out.

"Paris." Rory called her name.

"I'm not done." Paris scolded her.

"Sorry." Rory apologised.

"No." Paris finished her chain of no's.

"Glad she finished that one." Louise rolled her eyes.

"Why am I the only one who cares?" Paris questioned.

"You're not the only one who cares." Camille answered.

"No. I know you and Rory care, but I need everyone in this stupid room to care because I can't be the only one to care. Besides you two." the darker blonde explained.

"It's just a contest Paris. It's not like you get a car or a lifetime supply of Rice a Roni." Louise told her.

"God, I love that stuff." Madeline blurted.

"The Oppenheimer Award for Excellence in school journalism is not a contest. It's a statement. It says you're the best." She stated. "The best writers, the best reporters, the best editors. It says that you have crushed all others who have dared to take you on. It says that every other single school in the United States of America is feeling nothing but shame and defeat and pain because of the people who won the Oppenheimer plaque. I wanna be those people, I wanna cause that pain."

"Our paper is good." Rory pointed out.

"Not good enough." Paris disagreed.

"Last week's issue-." Camille started.

"Was a fine effort by a bunch of kids." Paris interrupted.

"We are a bunch of kids." Madeline commented.

"Not when we're in this room, we're not." Paris argued. "Flescher Prep Gazette, Broadmouth Banner, Richmond Heights Chronicle - these publications are not our competition."

"Geez." Louise muttered.

Camille gave her a look that said 'I know right'.

"The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post." Paris listed papers. "these publications are our competition."

"Paris has gone bye-bye." Madeline mumbled.

"We need to raise the bar. We need to be better, think harder, dig deeper. I don't wanna just submit a good issue. I wanna submit a great issue, the best issue." Paris continued.

"When's the deadline?" Rory asked.

"One week from today." Paris replied.

"Okay, so, then we better get brainstorming." Camille suggested. "Does anyone have an idea for a theme?"

"Yes." Paris responded.

"What?" Rory inquired.

"The one that wins." Paris shrugged.

"Okay, good, big help." Camille mumbled. "All right everyone, we should get working. You're going to give yourself a stroke one of these days, you know that."