chapter twenty four

"Hey everybody, will you gather round?" Lorelai asked. "Everyone, everyone. First of all, I want to welcome you to the first annual and probably never ever to be held again because Sookie's on the verge of a nervous breakdown Bracebridge Dinner."

"I'm fine, everything's fine." Sookie denied that she was breaking down.

"I also want to thank Mother Nature for snowing in the Trelling Paper Company in Chicago so I can throw this great party for all my friends instead. It's a very special night. And so, since I don't get to eat unbelievably strange food with my friends everyday." Lorelai  carried on her speech. "I have arranged a little surprise. Outside, as we speak, is a line of horse drawn sleighs and everybody gets a ride. So, uh, line up and keep it orderly. There's two per sleigh and no cutting in front of each other - that goes for everyone. Except me, 'cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna miss a ride in a horse drawn sleigh. Come on."

"You gonna go?" Luke asked Jess

"I think I'll wait for the clog dancing." He
replied.

"oh come on." Camille elbowed him gently. "show some spirit, go on a ride."

"But we're going to miss the all the good horses." Camille recognised Clara's, Dean's sister, voice.

She waved at the girl before going to the toilet.

***
"What are you doing?" Camille questioned Jess as he jumped into the sleigh.

She was going to be with Rory but the Gilmore girl decided that it was too cold.

"Well, I heard it was two to a sleigh - no more, no less. You were breaking the rules." He smirked.

"You could've hurt yourself." Camille fussed.

"I live on the edge. I can jump out if you want." He offered.

"Doesn't matter to me." Camille told him.

"Are you mad at me or something?" he asked.

"What do you think?" She inquired.

"I can't read your mind." Jess pointed out.

"You got into a fight with Dean." She recalled what Rory had told her.

"He's your ex." Jess stated. "Why do you care?"

"He's still my friend." She replied.

"I wasn't fighting him. I was fighting someone else. He jumped in on his own." Jess told her.

"Why were you fighting in the first place?" the blonde asked.

"Cause Chuck Presby's a jerk." He shrugged.

"From what Rory's told me, Chuck Presby is a jerk." Camille laughed.

"This whole town is weird and full of jerks." Jess chuckled.

They sat in silence for a bit.

"What are we Jess?" Camille broke the silence. "We've kissed, we've argued, doesn't that mean something?"

"Does it mean anything to you?" Jess questioned her.

"I asked you first." Camille replied.

"Luke told me not to ruin your life." He admitted.

"You won't ruin my life." Camille shook her head.

"Yeah well, I've ruined my mum's life and Luke's just by being here." Jess argued. "besides you're too good for me, you go Chilton, you do Ballet, you're going to Juilliard, your parents wouldn't like me."

"my parents are dead." she blurted out. "they died when I was three that's why I live with Lorelai."

"oh, I thought that they lived in France or something." Jess confessed.

"how'd you know that I'm French?" she asked him.

"you have a little accent." he told her.

"oh." she mumbled.

They fell into silence again.

"i'm not too good for you." she broke the silence yet again. "if anything i'm bad for you, I did give you the chalk and police tape."

"what do you wanna be then?" Jess asked her.

"well, I suppose trying the whole boyfriend-girlfriend thing won't hurt." Camilled suggested. "but the minute it goes terribly wrong, we break up. Deal?"

"Deal." Jess leaned in to kiss her.