✗ Chapter 3: Hanging Out ✗

"So...What do you usually have for lunch...?" Michael questioned out of curiosity, watching you unzip your backpack once the two of you had sat on an outside bench in the school playground.

"Well...I usually have a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a package of crisps, and a yoghurt." You told him truthfully, going through your lunch box and doing your best to be honest. "I don't generally get hungrier than that. How about yours? Does your lunchbox outshine mine?"

"Nah. Sometimes I have enough money to buy food from the cafeteria, but..." Michael paused for a moment, swinging his legs back and forth while he released a disappointed sigh. "My mom...She usually just feeds me when I get home from school. Dinner is usually enough for me."

"Wait...So your mom doesn't even give you food for lunch!?" You exclaimed in shock, your eyes widening at his sudden statement.

"It's not that she doesn't want to." Michael muttered with reddened cheeks, growing more ashamed by the minute as he kept on talking to you. "It's just...what with her job and all..."

"Oh...I see!" Your face cleared - your confusion fading and your empathy rising. "Damn. Things must be pretty tough at the moment then, huh...?"

"You...could say that." Michael shrugged it off and gave you a smile, finding your sympathy to be part sincere and part sweet.

"Hey, I'm not super-duper starving today, so...why don't we share...?" You kindly offered, your generosity causing the blonde boy to become stunned for a moment or two.

"Y...You don't have to. I mean, just because you feel sorry for me..." He responded defensively, flaring up and acting aggressive again.

"I'm offering because that's what friends do. I'm sorry, do you not think of us as friends yet...?" You asked with a hurt expression, holding your sandwich in-between your hands and feeling unhappy.

"I do, I do!" Michael bursted out in alarm, panicking by how quickly he'd hurt your feelings. "Sorry, I...I just thought that you were pitying me because of my...my upbringing..."

"Your upbringing...?" You slowly repeated, flashing him a frown as you tilted your head to the side a tad. "What are you talking about...?"

"I just thought you knew about my mom, that's all..." Michael looked away in shame, his face twisting into one of humiliation and feeling bad. "It's just that she...she's a..."

"You don't have to tell me." You softly interjected, cutting him off and instead handing him one of your sandwiches. "I don't judge, and I also don't demand to know things either. So don't stress it."

"Thanks..." Gratitude flowed from the blonde boy's voice; his blue-eyes glimmering with appreciation as he bit into the sandwich and accepted your kind gesture. "But...if you really want to know, my mom works as an exotic dancer, so she's usually too busy to even notice me."

"I don't think it's that big of a deal." You confessed honestly, not seeing why Michael was so ashamed.

"Y-You don't...?" Michael wondered in complete and utter surprise, not understanding how you could be so gracious towards him. "But...But the other kids. They all think...They all think she's—"