UWJ|TT1: Love Letter From Heaven

1. What does God give to guide His people?

"Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105.

2. Through whom did God convey His message?

"God, having in the past spoken to the fathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways." Hebrews 1:1.

3. How were the Scriptures written?

"Every Scripture is God-breathed...." 2 Timothy 3:16.

NOTE: The word "inspiration" comes from the Latin equivalent,divinitus inspirata. The Greek word used here is theopneustos, which literally means "God-breathed." This means that God is directly involved in the writing of the Scriptures. See Fernando Canale, "Revelation and Inspiration," Understanding Scripture, p. 48.

4. Was it through the will of man that the Scriptures were written?

No. "For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke, being moved by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 1:21.

5. Why were the Scriptures written?

"For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that through perseverance and through encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4.

NOTE: The word "Bible" does not occur in the Bible itself. It came from the Greek word biblia, meaning "little books" Biblia is derived from byblus, meaning "papyrus"-the name of the writing material. Byblus was also named after the Phoenician port of Byblos.

The Bible is called the "word of God," or the "Scriptures," which means "writings." The Bible has 66 books and was written by at least 40 men from various walks of life over a period of some 1,500 years. See "Sacred Scriptures," Bible Readings for the Home Circle, p. 10.

6. How can the reading of the Bible help us in our everyday lives?

"Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that each person who belongs to God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.

"For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12.

7. How should we treat the Bible?

Examine it

"Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11.

Experience it

"It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."' Matthew 4:4.

Enjoy it

"Your words were found, and I ate them. Your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart...." Jeremiah 15:16.

8. Whom do the Scriptures testify of?

Jesus.

"You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me." John 5:39.

9. What can Jesus give us?

"I give eternal life. They will never perish...." John 10:28.

10. How can we obtain this eternal life?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16.

11. How does faith come to us?

"So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17.

12. How does the Bible call those who read, hear, and keep the words written in it?

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written in it, for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3.