UWJ|TT11: A Day to Remember

1. Why is God worthy of our praise?

"For great is Yahweh, and greatly to be praised.... Yahweh made the heavens." 1 Chronicles 16:25,26.

2. What incomparable attribute does the true God have over all the false gods?

"But Yahweh is the true God. He is the living God, and an everlasting King.... "The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth will perish from the earth, and from under the heavens. God has made the earth by his power. He has established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding has he stretched out the heavens." Jeremiah 10:10-12.

3. How important is it for us to know God?

"This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ." John 17:3.

4. In what way will God's chosen people forget Him?

"Beware lest you forget Yahweh your God, in not keeping his commandments, his ordinances, and his statutes, which I command you today." Deuteronomy 8:11.

5. Did God design that His great work of creation be remembered?

"Yahweh's works are great, pondered by all those who delight in them. His work is honor and majesty. His righteousness endures forever. He has caused his wonderful works to be remembered. Yahweh is gracious and merciful." Psalm 111:2-4.

6. What did God command men to observe in memory of His great creative work?

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. You shall labor six days, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to Yahweh your God. You shall not do any work in it, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your livestock, nor your stranger who is within your gates; for in six days Yahweh made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore Yahweh blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy." Exodus 20:8-11.

"The heavens, the earth, and all their vast array were finished. On the seventh day God finished his work which he had done; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done." Genesis 2:1,2.

7. For whose benefit did He make the Sabbath?

"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." Mark 2:27.

8. What makes the Sabbath day or any thing holy?

God's presence in it.

"Don't come close. Take off your sandals, for the place you are standing on is holy ground." Exodus 3:5.

"There I will meet with the children of Israel; and the place shall be sanctified by my glory. I will sanctify the Tent of Meeting and the altar. I will also sanctify Aaron and his sons to minister to me in the priest's office. I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God. They shall know that I am Yahweh their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt, that I might dwell among them: I am Yahweh their God." Exodus 29:43-46.

"When Joshua was by Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man stood in front of him with his sword drawn in his hand. Joshua went to him and said to him, 'Are you for us, or for our enemies?' He said, 'No; but I have come now as commander of Yahweh's army? Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and worshiped, and asked him, "What does my lord say to his servant? 'The prince of Yahweh's army said to Joshua, "Take off your sandals, for the place on which you stand is holy: Joshua did so." Joshua 5:13-15.

9. What's the Sabbath to be a sign of?

"Make my Sabbaths holy. They shall be a sign between me and you, that you may know that I am Yahweh your God" Ezekiel 20:20.

10. How long is the Sabbath to be a sign of the true God?

'It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days Yahweh made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." Exodus 31:17.

11. Besides creation, what do God's people need to remember when they keep the Sabbath?

God is a Redeemer. "You shall remember that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and Yahweh your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm. Therefore Yahweh your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.." Deuteronomy 5:15.

12. Which is the Sabbath day?

Crucifixion Friday

"Behold, a man named Joseph, who was a member of the council, a good and righteous man (he had not consented to their counsel and deed), from Arimathaea, a city of the Jews, who was also waiting for God's Kingdom: this man went to Pilate, and asked for Jesus' body. He took it down, and wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid him in a tomb that was cut in stone, where no one had ever been laid. It was the day of the Preparation, and the Sabbath was drawing near. The women, who had come with him out of Galilee, followed after, and saw the tomb, and how his body was laid." Luke 23:50-55.

Saturday- Jesus Rested in the Tomb

"They returned and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment." Luke 23:56.

Resurrection Sunday

"But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they and some others came to the tomb, bringing the spices which they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb. They entered in, and didn't find the Lord Jesus' body. While they were greatly perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling clothing. Becoming terrified, they bowed their faces down to the earth. They said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He isn't here, but is risen. Remember what he told you when he was still in Galilee, saying that the Son of Man must be delivered up into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and the third day rise again?" Luke 24:1-7.

13. When does the Sabbath start and end?

"from evening to evening, you shall keep your Sabbath." Leviticus 23:32.

NOTE: Sabbath starts sunset Friday and ends sunset Saturday. In relation with biblical reckoning of time, "There was evening and there was morning, the first day.' Genesis 1:5. *

14. What example did Christ set in Sabbath observance?

"He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. Luke 4:16.

15. Will the Sabbath be observed in the New Earth?

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me,' says Yahweh, 'so your offspring and your name shall remain. It shall happen that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh will come to worship before me, says Yahweh." Isaiah 66:22,23.