UWJ|TT9: The Act of Love

1. Why can our own heart not serve as an adequate judge of what is right or wrong?

The heart is deceitful above all things and it is exceedingly corrupt. Who can know it." Jeremiah 17:9.

2. What did God give to mankind to be their guide in life?

"How I love your law! It is my meditation all day. Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for your commandments are always with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation." Psalm 119:97-99.

"For the commandment is a lamp, and the law is light. Reproofs of instruction are the way of life" Proverbs 6:23.

3. What dishonors God?

"you who glory in the law, do you dishonor God by disobeying the law?" Romans 2:25.

4. What is the essential principle of God's law?

"Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law." Romans 13:10.

5. How do we show our love for God?

"If you love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15.

6. What evidence shows that we know God?

"This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments." 1 John 2:3.

7. What is the converted person's relationship to God's law?

"For I delight in Gods law after the inward man." Romans 7:22.

8. Is God's law grievous for a converted person?

"For this is loving God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3.

9. What do the Scriptures call a person who professes to know the Lord, but does not keep His commandments?

"One who says, 'I know him, and doesn't keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn't in him." 1 John 2:4.

10. What will those who love God's law have in life?

"Those who love your law have great peace. Nothing causes them to stumble." Psalm 119:165.

11. Can man of himself, unaided by Christ, keep the law?

"I am the vine. You are the branches. He who remains in me and I in him bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5.

12. Did Christ come to abolish or to destroy the law?

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill." Matthew 5:17.

13. How enduring are God's commandments?

"The works of his hands are truth and justice. All his precepts are sure. They are established forever and ever. They are done in truth and uprightness." Psalm 111:7, 8.

14. What promise is made to those who are willing and obedient to God's law?

"If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good of the land." Isaiah 1:19.

15. Who will be justified?

"for it isn't the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be justified." Romans 2:15.

16. How will man be blessed?

"But he who looks into the perfect law of freedom and continues, not being a hearer who forgets, but a doer of the work, this man will be blessed in what he does." James 1:25.