UWJ|SYF1: The Scipture

1The Scriptures

One of the first themes to discuss as you witness to someone is the Word of God—the Scriptures. Why? Because if people are searching for truth, they need to be pointed to an authentic source of authority. Notice how Revelation 1 focuses attention on the Word of God.

Revelation 1:1-3

“The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.”

Here John describes how he had received the Word and promises that those who “hear” and “keep” the words of the prophecy will be blessed. Of course, a person to whom you are witnessing may not necessarily view the Bible as the ultimate source of authority.

So how can you discover a person’s source of authority?

One way is by observation. What does the person talk about? What kind of music do they listen to? What books do they read? What kind of movies do they watch? What do they post on social media? You can often discover much about a person’s source of authority simply by watching.

You may also ask questions to help discover a person’s source of authority:

What is your favorite book and why?

Who is your hero and why?

What would your mom or dad say if I asked that question?

What is the world’s greatest problem, and how would you solve it?

Once you understand a person’s source of authority, you’ll know better how to guide the discussion to the ultimate source of authority, God’s Word.

Consider discussing or studying topics that help build confidence in the Word of God:

• If you’re witnessing to someone who’s interested in science, you might observe that the Bible (according to the New England Journal of Medicine) contains one of the oldest-known scientific studies (Daniel 1).

• A study of how biblical archeology relates to various Bible stories is also great, especially if a person is questioning the validity of the Bible altogether.

• A good book to help build confidence in the Bible is Can We Still Believe the Bible? And Does It Really Matter? by Ryan Ball.

• For anyone interested in history, suggest a study of the prophecy of Daniel 2.

• Remember the most powerful witness you can give about the Scriptures: tell how they have changed your own life.

• Carry your Bible with you while traveling or at work—it’s a great way to start a discussion about God’s Word.

Texts about the Bible:

• 2 Pet. 1:21; 2 Tim. 3:16—It is inspired by God.

Ps. 119:160; 12:6, 7—It is true and trustworthy.

• Matt. 24:35—God’s Word is eternal.

Rom. 15:4—It gives hope and wisdom.

• John 5:39—It testifies of Jesus (both Old and New Testaments).

• John 16:13—The Holy Spirit will help us to understand it.

• 1 Cor. 2:13; Isa. 28:9, 10—We learn by comparing spiritual things.

• John 7:17; 17:17—If we are open, He will teach us and sanctify us with His Word.