UWJ|TT5: The Promised Redeemer

1. After Adam and Eve sinned, did God promise to send a Redeemer?

"But as for me, I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth." Job 19:25.

"The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins," declares the Lord." Isaiah 59:20.

2. What kind of birth would the promised Savior have?

"Now all this has happened that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall give birth to a son. They shall call his name Immanuel;' which is, being interpreted, 'God with us.'" Matthew 1:22, 23.

3. Where was the promised Savior to be born?

" "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times." Micah 5:2. "Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of King Herod...." Matthew 2:1.

4. What was the existence of Jesus before the incarnation?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. " John 1:1.

"The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14.

"Jesus said to them, 'Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM.'" John 8:58.

"God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM,' and he said, You shall tell the children of Israel this: "I AM has sent me to you." "Exodus 3:14.

5. What does the Father call the Son?

"But of the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your Kingdom... You, Lord, in the beginning, laid the foundation of the earth. The heavens are the works of your hands." Hebrews 1:8, 10.

6. What does Christ say is His relation to the Father?

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30.

7. How was He recognized by the Father while on earth?

"Behold, a voice out of the heavens said, This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17.

"While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them. Behold, a voice came out of the cloud, saying, 'This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him.' " Matthew 17:5.

"For he received from God the Father honor and glory when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, 'This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.' We heard this voice come out of heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain." 2 Peter 1:17, 18

8. What dwells in Christ?

"For in him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily...." Colossians 2:9.

9. What did Jesus create?

"For by him all things were created in the heavens and on the earth, visible things and invisible things, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things are held together" Colossians 1:16, 17.

10. Can the Creator-God also be the Redeemer-God?

"But now Yahweh who created you, Jacob, and he who formed you, Israel, says: 'Don't be afraid, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by your name. You are mine.'" Isaiah 43:1,

11. Why was it necessary for Christ to be born and take the human nature?

"Therefore he was obligated in all things to be made like his brothers, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people." Hebrews 2:17.

"Have this in your mind, which was also in Christ Jesus, who, existing in the form of God, didn't consider equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, yes, the death of the cross. "Philippians 2:5-8.

12. How did Jesus show from Scriptures that He would be both human and God?

"Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question, saying, 'What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is he? 'They said to him, 'Of David.' He said to them, How then does David in the Spirit call him Lord, saying, "The Lord said to my Lord, sit on my right hand, until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet?" If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?" Matthew 22:41-45

13. Why was Christ named "Jesus"?

"She shall give birth to a son. You shall call his name Jesus, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins." Matthew 1:21.