UWJ|SYF4: The Sabbath

4The Sabbath

The Apostle John was imprisoned because of his faithfulness to the Word of God. His awareness of the Sabbath and his acknowledgment that it is "the Lord's Day" (see Ex. 20:10; Matt. 12:8; Mark 2:27, 28; Luke 6:5) should underscore its importance for Bible-believing Christians.

Revelation 1:9-11

"I, John, both your brother and companion in the 27 tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, 'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last.'"

Keep these ideas in mind while witnessing about the Sabbath:

a. Let people ask you about the Sabbath

rather than telling them. The Sabbath, when rightly understood, is all about a relationship with God and desiring to spend time with Him on His special day. If a person does not have a relationship with God, the Sabbath will have little, if any, meaning. Start with helping them build that relationship!

For example, I didn't bring up the subject of marriage with my future wife until I knew she'd say yes. That's the way you should handle the Sabbath truth. Build such a close relationship with the person to whom you are witnessing that they want you to tell them about it.

b. Share the health benefits

of a day of rest. Scientists have discovered that human bodies operate on a natural seven-day cycle (known as a "circaseptan rhythm"). Taking a consistent day off each week can lead to improvements in immunity, mental acuity, physical energy, and longevity. In fact, when nations throughout history have attempted to change the length of the week, the results have been disastrous for public health. When you share these concepts, people will start asking how to keep the Sabbath even without knowing which day of the week it is. (For more on the science of weekly 28 rhythms, see The Lost Art of Thinking by Neil Nedley, pp. 263-265.)

c. Share testimonies

of family members or others who have benefited from Sabbath observance.

d. Avoid arguing about the Sabbath

, for it is largely counterproductive. Remember that "whatever is not from faith is sin" (Rom. 14:23). I cut through arguments by clarifying a person's intentions before answering questions. I might say something such as, "If I could answer that question for you from the Bible, would you follow Jesus in keeping the Sabbath?"

e. Invite people to join you for a Sabbath.

Let them experience the sacred joy of a Friday night, a Sabbath service, or a Sabbath afternoon walk in nature.

Texts about the Sabbath:

Rev. 14:6, 7-God's final message calls humanity to worship the Creator.

Eph. 3:9-Jesus is our Creator, so we should worship Him.

Ex. 20:8-11 -We worship our Creator by keeping the Sabbath.

Gen. 2:1-3 -God set the Sabbath apart at Creation by resting on it.

Mark 2:27, 28 -The Sabbath was given to mankind, long before there was a Jew.

Ezek. 20:12, 20 -It is a sign between God and man, that they are His people.

Luke 4:16 -Jesus faithfully kept the Sabbath; it was His custom.

Matt. 24:20 -Jesus predicted that the Sabbath would be kept after His death.

Acts 13:42-44 -Paul taught Jews and Gentiles to 29 worship on the Sabbath.

Acts 16:13 -Believers in Philippi worshiped on the Sabbath.

Rev. 1:10; Matt. 12:8; Mark 2:27, 28; Luke 6:5 - The Sabbath is "the Lord's day."

Luke 23:53-56; 24:1 -It is after "preparation day" and one day before the first day.

Isa. 66:22, 23 -The Sabbath will be kept forever in heaven.

Ps. 92 -This favorite chapter is known as the Psalm of the Sabbath.