UWJ|SYF3: The Second Coming

3The Second Coming

After considering the authority of Scripture and God's wonderful plan of salvation, we move on to the Second Coming. Christ's coming is exciting to those who know Him.

Revelation 1:7

"Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen."

Some have estimated that one in every eight verses in the New Testament speaks of Christ's return. People who understand His love are the most anxious for His coming. Also, those who suffer from trials have a strong desire to see Him step into human history.

Conversation starters concerning the Second Coming:

a. Utilize current events.

Carry a newspaper or magazine about current events. Start a discussion about an event that the Bible indicates will occur before Christ's coming (see the signs listed in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21). Ask people, "Do you know what's amazing? Many believe that these very events were foretold."

b. Utilize family events / health.

People might mention events in their recent family history that lend themselves to discussing the Second Coming. Has there been the breakup of a home, a death in the family? Or perhaps health challenges related to aging or other difficult situations? With sensitivity, you may be able to direct the conversation toward hope of eternity.

c. Utilize music.

I like the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah. I ask people, "Why do you think people resonate so powerfully with that chorus?" "Why do people still have so much interest in the Christ of Christmas?" "What is it about that story that you especially like and why?" "If there really was a Messiah, would you like Him to return again? Why?"

d. Ask a question.

For confident Christians who appear satisfied with the status quo, I often ask, "What is Jesus doing in heaven? If He loves us, why hasn't He returned?"

Texts about the Second Coming:

John 14:1-3-Jesus promised that He would return.

Acts 1:9-11-Angels also said He would come again.

Ps. 50:3-David spoke of His coming.

Rev. 1:7-When He comes, every eye shall see Him.

Matt. 24:27-It will be like lightning shining from the east to the west.

1 Thess. 4:16, 17-It will be a loud and audible event.

1 Cor. 15:51-54-The gift of immortality is given at that time.

Matt. 16:27-It will be a glorious event.

Isa. 25:9-To the righteous, it is a joyous event.

Rev. 19:11-16-Jesus returns as King of Kings.

Titus 2:13-The Second Coming is called the "blessed hope." If people want to know more about the Second Coming, offer to study the book of 1 Thessalonians with them. Each chapter concludes with a text about the Second Coming.