UWJ|TT2: Knowing The Unknown God

1. Who was the Unknown God the apostle Paul preached about in Athens?

"You men of Athens, I perceive that you are very religious in all things. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription: 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD: What therefore you worship in ignorance, I announce to you. The God who made the world and all things in it, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, doesn't dwell in temples made with hands. He isn't served by men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he himself gives to all life and breath, and all things." Acts 17:22-25.

2. What do the heavens declare about God?

"The heavens declare the glory of God. The expanse shows his handiwork." Psalm 19:1.

3. Who can personally know God?

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8.

4. Does God reveal Himself only to the believers?

No. "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because, that which is known of God is revealed in them, for God revealed it to them." Romans 1:18, 19.

5. Why do unbelievers fail to know God?

"Where is the wise?... Hasn't God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn't know God, it was God's good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe." 1 Corinthians 1:20, 21.

6. What separates us from God?

"But your iniquities have separated you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear." Isaiah 59:2.

7. What do we need to have in order to know God?

"Without faith it is impossible to be well pleasing to him, for he who comes to God must believe that he exists, and that he is a rewarder of those who seek him." Hebrews 11:6.

8. How can we obtain faith?

"So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17.

9. What are God's attributes?

He is self-existent.

"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM: and he said, 'You shall tell the children of Israel this: "I AM has sent me to you." ' " Exodus 3:14.

He is omniscient, knowing everything.

"God is greater than our heart, and knows all things."1 John 3:20. "Great is our Lord, and mighty in power. His understanding is infinite."Psalm 147:5.

He is omnipresent, transcending all space.

"There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him to whom we must give an account." Hebrew 4:13.

He is eternal, exceeding the limits of time.

"Before the mountains were born, before you had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God." Psalm 90:2.

He is omnipotent, all powerful.

"With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26.

He is immutable, unchangeable.

"For I, Yahweh, don't change...."Malachi 3:6. "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom can be no variation, nor turning shadow" James 1:17.

10. Who is the image of the invisible God?

Jesus.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation." Colossians 1:15.

"God, having in the past spoken to the fathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, has at the end of these days spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he made the worlds. His Son is the radiance of his glory, the very image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power...." Hebrews 1:1-3.

11. Why is God worthy of our worship?

"Worthy are you, our Lord and God, the Holy One, to receive the glory, the honor, and the power, for you created all things, and because of your desire they existed, and were created!" Revelation 4:11.

12. Since God is our Creator, how do we show respect to Him?

"Oh come, let's worship and bow down. Let's kneel before Yahweh, our Maker, for he is our God." Psalm 95:6, 7.

13. Aside from being our Creator, He is also our Savior. What does He desire of us?

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:3, 4.