UWJ|TT3: Unfolding The Future

In the second chapter of Daniel, God revealed the future to King Nebuchadnezzar, ruler of the Babylonian Empire. Through a dream, the king saw a great image and Daniel's inspired explanation offered fundamental evidence for the inspiration of the Scriptures. Daniel 2 describes the course of history from the time of Daniel until the end of time.

1. What has God given us to serve as our guide in this world?

"We have the more sure word of prophecy,- and you do well that you heed it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns, and the morning star arises in your hearts." 2 Peter 1:19.

2. To whom does God communicate His secrets?

"Surely the Lord Yahweh will do nothing, unless he reveals his secret to his servants the prophets." Amos 3:7.

3. What prophecy did Jesus mention to His disciples to prepare them for the coming destruction of Jerusalem?

"When, therefore, you see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand)." Matthew 24:15.

4 When will all the prophecies in Daniel be understood?

"But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end. Many will run back and forth, and knowledge will be increased." Daniel 12:4.

5. What transpired in the second year of the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar?

"In the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams; and his spirit was troubled, and his sleep went from him." Daniel 2:1.

6. Why was the dream of King Nebuchadnezzar significant in the last days?

"But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has made known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what will be in the latter days." Daniel 2:28.

7. What did King Nebuchadnezzar see in his dream?

"You, O king, saw, and behold, a great image. This image, which was mighty, and whose brightness was excellent, stood before you; and its appearance was terrifying. As for this image, its head was of fine gold, its breast and its arms of silver, its belly and its thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet part of iron, and part of clay. You saw until a stone was cut out without hands, which struck the image on its feet that were of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold were broken in pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshing floors. The wind carried them away, so that no place was found for them. The stone that struck the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth." Daniel 2:31-35.

8. What did Daniel tell King Nebuchadnezzar regarding the head of gold?

"You, O king, are king of kings, to whom the God of heaven has given the kingdom, the power, the strength, and the glory. Wherever the children of men dwell, he has given the animals of the field and the birds of the sky into your hand, and has made you rule over them all. You are the head of gold." Daniel 2:37,38.

"Babylon has been a golden cup in Yahweh's hand, who made all the earth drunk. The nations have drunk of her wine; therefore the nations have gone mad." Jeremiah 51:7.

According to Herodotus, the builders of Babylon used the wealth of gold in building the city. See Gerhard Pfandl, The Seer of Babylon, p. 27.

9. What was the second kingdom after Babylon?

"After you, another kingdom will arise that is inferior to you...." Daniel 2:39.

"Your kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians." Daniel 5:28.

"I saw the ram pushing westward, northward, and southward...." Daniel 8:4.

"The ram which you saw ... are the kings of Media and Persia." Daniel 8:20.

NOTE: The reference to silver (see Daniel 2:32) alludes to the use of silver in the taxation system of the kingdom of Medo-Persia. See Pfandl, p. 27.

10. What was the third kingdom after Medo-Persia?

"...and another third kingdom of bronze, which will rule over all the earth." Daniel 2:39.

"The male goat magnified himself exceedingly...." Daniel 8:8.

"The rough male goat is the king of Greece." Daniel 8:20. The third kingdom after Medo-Persia was Greece, after Alexander the Great conquered the former. Bronze was a Greek specialty. It was commonly used in trade and warfare. See Pfandl, p. 27.

The Greek army employed bronze in their armors, helmets, shields, and even their weapons. "Bronze flashes on their shields, flashes with bronze their sword:' Virgil, Aeneid 7.742, 743.

11. What was the fourth kingdom after Greece?

"The fourth kingdom will be strong as iron, because iron breaks in pieces and subdues all things; and as iron that crushes all these, it will break in pieces and crush." Daniel 2:40. B."...and the images of gold, or silver, or brass, that might serve to represent the nations and their kings, were successively broken by the iron monarchy of Rome."-Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 3, p. 634.

12. What do the iron and clay feet tell us about what happened to the iron kingdom of Rome?

"Whereas you saw the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, it will be a divided kingdom; but there will be in it of the strength of the iron, because you saw the iron mixed with miry clay. As the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom will be partly strong, and partly broken. Whereas you saw the iron mixed with miry clay, they will mingle themselves with the seed of men; but they won't cling to one another, even as iron does not mix with clay." Daniel 2:41-43.

13. What event will take place in the last days?

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, nor will its sovereignty be left to another people; but it will break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it will stand forever." Daniel 2:44.

14. When will God set up this eternal kingdom?

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." Matthew 25:31-34.

Head of Gold (Babylon) 626-539 BC

Chest of Silver (Medo-Persia) 539-331 BC

Thighs of Bronze (Greece) 331-168 BC.

Legs of Iron (Rome) 168 B.C.- AD. 476

Feet of Iron and Clay (Divided Europe) -AD 476-Second Coming

15. Can there be any doubt regarding the fulfillment of this prophecy?

"The great God has made known to the king what will happen hereafter." Daniel 2:45.