UWJ|TT8: Growing in Grace

1. What is the only way we can overcome the sinful desires of our sinful natures?

"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you wont fulfill the lust of the flesh." Galatians 5:16.

2. What becomes of us when we live by the Spirit?

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. If we live by the Spirit, let's also walk by the Spirit." Galatians 5:22-25.

3. Who gives us real life?

"It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life. John 6:63.

4. What transformation takes place in our life when we walk in the Spirit?

"Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face seeing the glory of the Lord as in a mirror, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:17, 18.

5. How necessary is the experience of sanctification?

"Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14.

NOTE: Sanctification is a theological term to mean "the state or process of being set apart, i. e. made holy" See"Sanctification, SDA Bible Commentary, rev. ed., p. 979.

6. Who actually does the work of sanctification in our life?

"According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with his blood: Grace to you and peace be multiplied." 1 Peter 1:2.

7. In the experience of sanctification, what attitude must one assume toward the truth?

"But we are bound to always give thanks to God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief in the truth." 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

8. What instruction shows that sanctification is a progressive work?

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18.

"Brothers, I don't regard myself as yet having taken hold, but one thing I do: forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before,press on toward the goal for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13, 14.

9. What kind of life must we live when we walk in the Spirit?

"Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:1,2

10. What will we experience when we walk in the light?

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." 1 John 1:7