UWJ|TT18: Talking to the Dead Around

1. Can a soul die?

"The soul who sins, he shall die."Ezekiel 18:20.

2. Where did the idea of an immortal soul first come from?

"Now the serpent was more subtle than any animal of the field which Yahweh God had made. He said to the woman, 'Has God really said, "You shall not eat of any tree of the garden"?' The woman said to the serpent, 'We may eat fruit from the trees of the garden, but not the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden. God has said, "You shall not eat of it. You shall not touch it, lest you die.' 'The serpent said to the woman, 'You won't really die, for God knows that in the day you eat it, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:1-5.

3. What warning did God give our first parents should they disobey His command not to eat the fruit of the forbidden tree?

"You shall not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; for in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die."Genesis 2:17.

4. What is the wages of sin?

"For the wages of sin is death...."Romans 6:23.

5. In order to understand the biblical concept of a soul, how did God create human beings?

"God formed man from the dust of theground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath oflife; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7.

DUST + BEATH = LIVING SOUL

Notice that the text does not say that man was given a soul. Rather, he became a living soul. A soul is not something a person has; it is the person.

6. What process is reversed when we die?

"You take away their breath; they die and return to the dust." Psalm 104:29. "If he gathered to himself his spirit and his breath, all flesh would perish together, and man would turn again to dust." Job 34:14, 15.

LIVING SOUL- BREATH = DUST

7. Can a dead person return and appear to those who know him?

"The eye of him who sees me will see me no more. Your eyes will be on me, but I will not be. As the cloud is consumed and vanishes away, so he who goes down to Sheol will come up no more. He will return no more to his house, neither will his place know him anymore."Job 7:8-10.

8. What happens to a person's knowledge and feelings when he or she dies?

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead don't know anything, neither do they have any more a reward; for their memory is forgotten. Also their love, their hatred, and their envy has perished long ago; neither do they any longer have a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun." Ecclesiastes 9:5,6.

9. Can the dead give thanks or praise God?

"For in death there is no memory of you. In Sheol, who shall give you thanks?" Psalm 6:5.

"The dead don't praise Yah, neither any who go down into silence." Psalm 115:17.

10. When a person dies, will he go immediately to heaven? How about David?

"Brothers, I may tell you freely of the patriarch David, that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day....For David didn't ascend into the heavens...."Acts 2:29, 34.

11. How did Jesus describe the death of Lazarus to His disciples?

" 'Our friend, Lazarus, has fallen asleep, but I am going so that I may awake him out of sleep.' The disciples therefore said, 'Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.' Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he spoke of taking rest in sleep. So Jesus said to them plainly then, 'Lazarus is dead.'" John 11:11-14.

12. Who alone has natural immortality?

"I command you before God, who gives life to all things ... that you keep the commandment without spot, blameless, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which in its own times he will show, who is the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings, and Lord of lords. He alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and eternal power." 1 Timothy 6:13-6.

13. How does one receive the promise of immortality or eternal life?

"Has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the Good News." 2 Timothy 1:10.

"...the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23.

14. When will the believers experience immortality?

At the second coming of Jesus.

"Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed. For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality." 1 Corinthians 15:51-53.

"For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with God's trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever." 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17.

15. What shall we do to have this promise of eternal life?

"This is the will of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at thelast day."John 6:40.