Thirty

DEVON

It all happened so fast the war started she blinked Theo and Pansy were dead the war continued and she blinked again Ro was dead too. The war ended and she was relieved but her heart was still aching for who she had lost.

Devon sat on her bed, she remembered the day before, after everyone helped to clean up parts of the castle so they could start making plans to rebuild, Devon got pulled aside by Mattheo.

"What it is?" She looked at him confused.

She remembers it like it was only moments ago.

"I need to go, I'm not finished yet I'm the strongest wizard alive and I need to finish what I started I need to get those death eaters that are remaining I need to turn them in." He held onto her hands and they were warm like usual and it made her realize how cold she was.

"What? No, you're crazy that's what the ministry is for." She brushed off a chill that was creeping into her skin.

"No Dev it has to be me and the ministry is probably going to come after me, they know who I am they know what I've done and I need to do this to clear my name." he breathed out.

"You just killed Voldemort I'm pretty sure that is enough already." She tried not to let her emotions control her she didn't need to get emotional now she needs to stay calm and try and convince him.

"I also killed Dumbledore and tried to have the whole school slaughtered Devon I can't stay here, I have to go, and I really hope you understand." He kissed her and held onto her hand, they walked to the main bridge standing on a ledge and looking out at the water below.

"I can't do this Mattheo I can't do this without you!" She yelled at him but he brought her into a hug and he kissed the top of her head.

"Yes you can I love you and I always will,  I promise I'll come back, I have something important to ask you when I make it back." He kissed her head again and she could feel him breathing in her hair.

"No don't leave, I love you too. Just tell me now." But when she opened her eyes she realized she was hugging herself and she looked up and he was gone.

_________

After that Devon and Draco came back to Castle Dawn waiting to see if her parents were there, they couldn't stay at the Malfoy's it was too much for Draco. He didn't want to be around anyone besides Devon and even then they hardly spoke.

When they arrived, Devon noticed it seemed dark there, she knocked hard but no one answered the door was locked, Devon used a charm to open it.

She walked into the main entry room that she remembered so well growing up there were lounge chairs in front of the fireplace the magical one that never went out.

She saw her mother and father sitting in their chairs facing the fire.

"Oh you're here, why didn't neither of you answer the door?" Devon scoffed walking around to greet her mother and father.

Draco was right next to her ready to greet them as well but when they walked around the chair to look at her parent's faces they both realized they weren't breathing. There was a horrid stench of rotting flesh and Devon began to cry she reached for her mother's cold face and grabbed onto her father's cold dead hand.