Chapter - 30 - Like a diamond.

'If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the thing you love, be persistent in doing things Allah loves' - Ahmad Ibn Anbal.

SANAM'S POV

Six o'clock had hardly struck on the evening of my engagement day, when mom brought a parcel into my closet and found me already up and nearly dressed.I had showered half an hour before her entrance, and blow dried my hair and put on the golden and pink gown by the light of the sun just setting, whose rays streamed throw the white drapes.

" MashaAllah! You look beautiful my daughter! " Mom remarked,scrutinising me from head to toe.I returned her compliment with a smile.

" Aunt Uzma had sent you a dress for today's ceremony.She said she'd be very happy if you'd wear it," mom said.She was the only person yet to get dressed; she had been busy with the arrangements.I nodded in approval, huffing a sigh.

" I will tell you a hadith I had learnt in my childhood," mom said, caressing my long hair.

" The Prophet Mohammed ( Sallallahu alaihi wassallam ) never said no when asked for anything."

"Subhanallah! His manners and behaviour turned his foes into friends.Let us strive to follow the sunnah in our everyday life, " mom said.She unpacked the parcel to reveal the dress and minutes later she proceeded to get herself ready.

The day had passed faster and busier for my family as they were preparing to welcome Shiraz's family.For me the day seemed of a preternatural length.Every second looked like an hour.It brought back the bad experience I had last time so I wanted it to end faster and merrier.

As wierd as it sounded they were the very people I was going to be related to from now.I cannot categorise them as strangers but I had met his mother and sister only once giving me barely any idea of their nature.And I had no clue why Shiraz accepted his granny's proposal when he had always made me a subject of his sauciness.

I can scarcely believe that I had accepted to marry the person whom I hated all these years in the university.But people change and so does the hearts.And Allah has his own plans.We never know who would become a partner in our journey and fill the missing pieces of our lives.We had a year to complete our internship and our marriage would come next.

After praying maghrib salah, I got dressed in the beige dress which had been sent by granny.It was simple and pretty with a large shimmery viel for covering the head. I had refused for any special succor to get ready, I did the makeup myself.I was almost done an hour later.And when I looked at myself in the mirror, reality dawned on me.I was going to be his fiancee.Only the thoughts made my heart race and my body warm with fear.The night had overclouded and a wild wind rushed amongst the trees.

I strolled into my balcony.Here I walked about for a long time, feeling very strange, and mortally apprehensive of going to face his mother and sister.For I was not sure if they liked me.

"Smile!" Urwa chirped, clicking a pic on her phone.Instead of the smile, she captured my frown.

"I know you're nervous.But I think you should be rather happy," Shaila interrupted.

" You'll know how it feels when you will go through this," I replied.

" Well! In that case I would be beaming with joy if my fiancee is as awesome as yours," she retaliated.

" Stop troubling her! You guys need to come down.The guests are almost here," mom informed.Shortly after they left, the distant roll of tyres announced the coming car.I glued myself to the wall to prevent from being seen and watched its headlight approach rapidly through the gloom.