chapter 11 -Naughty nerd

"Blessed are the hearts that can bend for they shall never be broken"-Yasmin Mogahed.

Sanam's POV

It was one of those days when you wake up and feel like going back to sleep.After praying fajr I thought of taking a nap but it turned into a slumber.And my bed clinged on to me so hard that I had to practically push myself out of it.Had I delayed more,mom would think that I was sleeping on purpose to avoid the freshers party.

Huffing loudly I swayed my way to the bathroom.My mind thinking why it was so hard for me to attend a fresher's party in my medical school.I didn't sound normal.But i loved living in seclusion.After a lot of reluctantance I agreed to go.I was only interested in the quiz.When I told Urwa the reason I agreed she laughed at how boring I sounded.

When she argued I begged to differ.Just because I prefer a medical quiz to some stupid uni party doesn't make me boring .According to me, a boring person is someone who has no aim in life, who is living life just for the heck of it, who lacks functionality.

But it was true that I disliked social gatherings.I did always be the one who stayed at home while Shaila and Urwa accompanied mom to any of her friends parties.I feel that parties and social gathering are more about  dressing up and bitching behind others back.Its about letting worldly pleasures detain ourselves in the matter of obedience to Allah.Mom always told us that quran teaches us to stay away from spying and backbiting about others.

Quote from the Holy Qur'an: Al-Hujuraat (49:12)

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اجْتَنِبُوا كَثِيرًا مِنَ الظَّنِّ إِنَّ بَعْضَ الظَّنِّ إِثْمٌ ۖ وَلَا تَجَسَّسُوا وَلَا يَغْتَبْ بَعْضُكُمْ بَعْضًا ۚ أَيُحِبُّ أَحَدُكُمْ أَنْ يَأْكُلَ لَحْمَ أَخِيهِ مَيْتًا فَكَرِهْتُمُوهُ ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ تَوَّابٌ رَحِيمٌ

Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo ijtaniboo katheeran mina alththanni inna baAAda alththanni ithmun wala tajassasoo wala yaghtab baAAdukum baAAdan ayuhibbu ahadukum an yakula lahma akheehi maytan fakarihtumoohu waittaqoo Allaha inna Allaha tawwabun raheemun

O ye who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as possible): for suspicion in some cases is a sin: And spy not on each other behind their backs. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Nay, ye would abhor it... But fear Allah: For Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.

I stood up rubbing my eyes and unbraided my plate to reveal my long hair in the mirror.I stayed,observing the person on the other side.There was nothing extraordinary about my looks.My skin was a little pale.It was neither too fair nor too dark.I wasn't what you call breathtakingly beautiful. I wasn't the girl people can't take their eyes off.I never wanted to be one anyways.Mom says we are all Allah's creation and all His creations are perfect in some way or the other.

I brushed my teeth and felt lazy to shower.Wrapping my hair in a bun I walked into the kitchen in my night dress.Shaila and Urwa were fast asleep as sunday was the only day when they slept after fajr.Mom was standing near the counter beating eggs for breakfast.

"Assalamualaikum Sanam.Did you sleep well hun?" Mom enquired with a concerned face.

"Walaikumassalam.Yeah mom,I had a long refreshing sleep.And I also took a nap after fajr," I replied, stifling a yawn.

"That's great! I was worried thinking of the consequences had it been otherwise," mom continued with a deep sigh.She wanted me to participate actively in all the