Chapter - 12 - Mending past relations

'Forgiving someone isn't just about doing good to another. It's also about healing a scar in your own heart! ' - Nouman Ali khan.

Sanam's POV

I couldn't get up for fajr as the medicines I gulped down last night had knocked me out totally.Mom didn't wake me either thinking I didn't had to pray (time of month).Missing fajr implies my whole day would go cursing myself that I had fallen under the clutches of saitan Astaghfirullah!

After my daily routine of showering and getting dressed I walked into the kitchen and witnessed mom preparing breakfast.She had entitled  herself to the task of  feeding home cooked fresh food daily.The kitchen counter was smeared with dough and smelled of butter. 

"Salaam mom !" I greeted casually,removing fresh cream from the refrigerator. She was making pancakes but her gaze was fixed on the window, she didn't even return my salam.

" Earth to mom! Are you alright? " I enquired waving my hands at her face.

"I need to tell you something important Sanam! Let's have breakfast first then I shall talk about it, " mom replied, tossing the pancakes on the plates.She looked a bit apprehensive.Nodding my head in approval, I helped her out in arranging the plates on the dining table.

Finishing our breakfast we sat in the living room waiting for mom.She arrived minutes later and sat herself on the couch facing me.Taking a deep breath she began.

"My dear kids, I have to tell you something but you need to be patient and listen to me completely before making any assumptions!" We nodded and steadied ouselves to hear her out.

"Today after Fajr, your cousin Mikael had called informing me that your uncle isn't doing well and apparently he's in the hospital; he wants to see us one last time",Mom said stressing the latter.

"Mikael also emphasised that he often talks about you in his dreams," mom stated, arching her brows and pointing at me.We looked at each other in confusion. How come he misses me now when he never came when I needed him the most.

"No mom,Don't even think about it! It must be one of his dirty plans ," I said through gritted teeth.Shaila nodded her head agreeing with me.

"I know it's difficult to trust him after his betrayal but I feel he is not bluffing," mom replied, rising up from her seat.

Why does he want to get back in our life when we have learned to live by ourselves?

Why this sudden display of affection?

Was there any reason why he came to our home the other day?

My mind was flooded with so many questions. Mom cleared her throat breaking me out of my trance.

"I have thought a lot about it and I came to a conclusion that we shall visit him once.After all he is a sick person and it is sunnah to visit the sick," Mom said biting her lips.

Quote from the Holy Qur'an: Al-Hujuraat (49:10)

إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِخْوَةٌ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ أَخَوَيْكُمْ ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ

Innama almuminoona ikhwatun faaslihoo bayna akhawaykum waittaqoo Allaha laAAallakum turhamoona

The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear Allah, that ye may receive Mercy.

When she quoted quran it would leave us speachless.We had to abide by it.It was a day off for me,I had no option but to comply to her wish.Shaila and Urwa had school so they left after our brief discussion.