Chapter - 19- Perks of being the eldest kid.

Our life is nothing more than a love story between you and God.Every person, every experience, every gift, every loss, every pain is sent on your path for one reason and one reason only.To bring you back to him - Yasmin Mogahed.

Sanam's POV

Last few weeks were quite hectic for me.Second year of medical school was coming to an end and it was the day of my exam.Mom was not home either as she had to visit a sick relative in Oman.Being the eldest daughter I had to take up the responsibility of looking after my siblings.I feel there more cons than pros for being the oldest kid.

One thing I have learnt these days is you can never work as much as your mom does.I mean she works for six hours in the university and at home she takes care of all our needs.She heeds to our every lazy desires and make sures we eat, pray and sleep on time.During this period,I was overburdened with studies and just supervising the maid was sapping my energy.Mom left only after we convinced her that we were capable of taking care of ourselves now that we were not kids anymore.I never imagined that teenagers would be tougher than kids.From waking up Shaila and Urwa to serving a careless Mikael I was literally exhausted.I wish I had a fast forward button to my life that moment.

Quote from the Holy Qur'an: Ar-Ra'd (13:11)

لَهُ مُعَقِّبَاتٌ مِنْ بَيْنِ يَدَيْهِ وَمِنْ خَلْفِهِ يَحْفَظُونَهُ مِنْ أَمْرِ اللَّهِ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يُغَيِّرُ مَا بِقَوْمٍ حَتَّىٰ يُغَيِّرُوا مَا بِأَنْفُسِهِمْ ۗ وَإِذَا أَرَادَ اللَّهُ بِقَوْمٍ سُوءًا فَلَا مَرَدَّ لَهُ ۚ وَمَا لَهُمْ مِنْ دُونِهِ مِنْ وَالٍ

Lahu muAAaqqibatun min bayni yadayhi wamin khalfihi yahfathoonahu min amri Allahi inna Allaha la yughayyiru ma biqawmin hatta yughayyiroo ma bianfusihim waitha arada Allahu biqawmin sooan fala maradda lahu wama lahum min doonihi min walin

For each (such person) there are (angels) in succession, before and behind him: They guard him by command of Allah. Allah does not change a people's lot unless they change what is in their hearts. But when (once) Allah willeth a people's punishment, there can be no turning it back, nor will they find, besides Him, any to protect.

Meanwhile a disturbing incident occured.Maayer met with an accident and had to be hospitalized.I was very scared for him.He underwent an orthopaedic surgery at such a minor age.It was heartbreaking.A child deprived of his parents didn't deserve it.I visited him every day after his surgery.I even pleaded to Allah that if He recovers swiftly I would fast to thank him for His immense favour upon us.Maayer was so naive that he thought he could walk the next day of his surgery.When reality dawned on him he lost hope.I tried cheering him everyday by telling inspirational stories from Quran and hadeeth from other islamic books.He was hospitalized for a fortnight almost.Last week he was discharged and I along with the aid of caretaker,took turns to teach him to walk using crutches.He was hopeful of walking normally very soon.

This incidence brought to light the attachment I had with every single kid in the orphanage.It made me ponder over the fact that no matter how much I change, even when I find my own place in this world, no matter where this crazy world lands me this kids will always remain close to my heart.The moments spent with them were seemingly ordinary, revived me from my frenetic life but they will be etched in my memory forever.

Through Mrs.Warda I got to know that Shiraz visited Maayer regularly too.I realized I was wrong in pushing all the blame on him.Apparently what happened was in part due to his carelessness.Nevertheless its true that nothing is under our control and everything in this world and the heavens happens according to Allah's will.My impulsive contention must have hurt him.I neither tried to talk to him nor did I meet him anytime later.My term holidays prevented any other chance meetings in the university too.