18.

"Dinner smells amazing! Thank you for letting me join you all. I didn't have a chance to bring a gift so, the next best thing I have is that each of you get one free question that I will answer honestly. So, don't ask questions you don't want the answer to."

T'Challa and Tony nodded graciously. Nat smirked at her old trainer knowing exactly what she wanted to ask. Wanda and Peter were speaking telepathically trying to decide what to ask while Pepper smiled and shook her head. The poor woman had no clue what she had just signed up for. Bruce was cleaning his glasses while smiling into his lap. Sam knew his own question but before he could ask, Clint spoke up excitedly. 

"Who here have you tried to kill while being Viper?"

Sally laughed and arched a brow. "Mr. Barton, that is your question? None of you. Sold-The Winter Soldier won the fight that put him on Stevie and Nat's scent."

As soon as she answered, Sam asked his question, giving her no pause. "Where were you during the New York attack?" 

"In a bunker, I snuck out after it was over to see someone here but, it made my head hurt too much so I left soon after. I suspect I had memories trying to surface."

Nat smiled kindly at Sally and waited until she acknowledged her before asking, "Why did they choose you two to train us, or I guess, more specifically, why did you and Soldat take special care with me and my- Crimson Widow?"

Sally smiled and took a couple bites of food as she thought through her answer. "We were the best, that's why us. I don't know if we still are or if I could ever be that version of myself again. As far as why you two? You both showed heart and spirit as well as technique. I know it sounds terrible and it can be directed towards something else but at the time, you both showed an affinity for the work. Please remember I wasn't, no. You know what? No excuses, if you want to hate me, I will accept it."

Sally stood as Nat approached her. She expected anger or violence, she was shocked to find the woman hugging her instead. "I am not a touchy-feely type person so don't get used to it but, thank you for your honesty. You knew the facility the first day. You had been there before."

Sally smirked at the direct statement rather than asking it and nodded. "I was trained as a Sparrow, a Widow, Winter Soldier, and a few other programs over the years."

Pepper went next, opting for a simple question. "Are you happier knowing yourself and history or do you wish you didn't remember still?"

Sally choked on her water before looking over at Pepper. "I am happy to know everything I have been through, but sometimes the guilt of knowing what I have done gets to me. The idea of mourning families or the possibility of an innocent target, it eats you from the inside sometimes. I need to make up for it somehow."

Pepper nodded and tried to apologize, she had thought it would be an easy question. 

Next was Tony who smirked. "Who is the best Stark?" 

Sally laughed hard. "Tough question. Your father was my best friend though so until I have more time with you, he holds my loyalty."

Tony was equal parts proud and upset. He was proud his dad had earned a friend like Sally but he wanted to be the best Stark and outdo his father.

Wanda was having a hard time reading the younger Rogers and decided to ask how she ended up at Hydra. 

Sally froze and couldn't quite keep her eyes dry as she said she had been tricked by a good friend and that the only one who had tried to stand up for her and make her rethink her choice had been Howard Stark. Tony looked ready to kill whoever would hurt a woman such as Sally. Sally patted his hand and told him she was okay. However, looking around the table, many of them seemed to be in the same mindset as the man beside her.