29.

Bucky was furious. His friend had just comforted his girl right in front of him. He was seeing red and was thankful for Wakanda otherwise he wasn't sure he would have full control of his actions. He watched Sam's back until it was out of sight before facing Sally. "What the fuck are you doing anywhere near Hydra? The whole point of us escaping was actually staying away."

"Pepper was in trouble Bucky. I was needed. I am handling it."

"Sam said you had to kill someone." Steve was frustrated. He didn't want to think that his baby sister was capable of the things he had heard. The whole Peggy thing was weighing on his mind too. 

"Oh, I talked them into killing the crazy guy who threatened Pepper. I solved the issue but it was only an in. I am in further now and I have handled everything just fine Steve. Hydra isn't anything new for me. Besides, Sam has been a great ear when needed and has allowed me to express myself however I need after everything. I have to go talk to him about what just happened though."

"Are you going back in?" Nat felt the need to ask before Sally ran off again. She missed her friend. 

"I am in town for a few days, we can talk soon. I am going back though, yeah. I almost got everything sorted so I think I owe it to myself to see it through." 

Nat nodded and smiled as Sally turned to leave. Then the most unexpected thing happened. Clint stepped forward and hugged her. "We don't have to be the closest for me to know that you aren't as okay as you are pretending to be. Come find me later. I might have a solution for later if you are game for it." It was whispered into her ear and discreet, covered by the hug he gave her. Sally smiled kindly at him and signed thank you to him. Both smiled before she left to find Sam. 

Tony immediately pulled up the video feed for the conference room. He would allow them some privacy and not turn on the audio but he needed to see her more. It didn't take long before Steve and Bucky flanked him. Nat and Clint glared at them. "So, your speech earlier about this being why she left was just for show?" 

"I said she deserved better, doesn't mean I can change in a day."

"Shh... She is walking in. We just need to keep an eye on everything." Steve felt guilty but he couldn't turn away either. 

Outside the door of the conference room, Sally took a deep breath before walking in. Sam looked lost in thought and guilty as all hell. Sally stepped behind him and began to rub his shoulders. "I understand that you felt the need to defend me Sam, I really do, but please don't tell them. How much did you say?"

He reached up and grabbed one of her hands, pulling it towards the front of him before kissing her knuckles and palm. "More than I should have. I think I mentioned that Peggy used and abused you but I didn't go into detail. I am so sorry Sal."

Sally turned his chair slowly before straddling his lap and leaning her head on his chest. "I know you didn't mean any harm, just please be careful. Steve really loved her and she loved him. I don't want to taint the memory he has. Even Bucky and she were friends. I can't have that on my conscience. They are entitled to their memories and friendships."

Sam pulled her back so he could see her eyes. "At what price Sally? You are tearing yourself apart trying to keep all your trauma to yourself. Do any of them know what kind of pain and torture you suffered through at Hydra? What about at Shield after Steve and Bucky died? I know Howard tried to help but he wasn't in a place to actually follow through."

"Because I pushed him away Sam. That is what you aren't seeing. I chose most of my fate. I felt like it should have been me too. Peggy just shared my views. I didn't bother fighting her because I thought I owed it to the nation after my brother was killed. I should have never survived Sam. Don't you understand?"

"Of course I do. I felt the same way after my partner died in combat. He died saving me. I absolutely understand where you are coming from. It doesn't make you right though."

Sam place his hands on her cheeks and pulled her close. His lips grazing her forehead again. Her small sigh of relief was almost enough to break his resolve and kiss her for real again but he stopped himself. 

"I won't push you Sam. I shouldn't have even done this. You are my brother's friend as well as my ex's. I am an idiot. I need to expand beyond my brother's friends. I am so sorry." 

Sam sat frozen. He thought about someone else's hands on her and their lips exploring her body. He watched her turn to leave and reached out as his mind was still processing her whole concept of finding someone new. He pulled her to him and crashed his lips against hers. All he kept muttering was the word no. Sally didn't know what he meant but couldn't make her brain work enough to ask him. He walked them back until Sally's back hit a wall. He wrapped her legs around his hips and continued to kiss her and leave small marks anywhere he could. He couldn't stand the thought of a stranger touching her like this. If it was Bucky, he would step aside. They deserved to be happy but he would be damned if he let some other guy have this type of effect on her. 

The door was busted in and suddenly they were ripped away from each other. Bucky was holding Sally tight enough to leave marks on her. His eyes seemed to be wild though. It was still Bucky but he wasn't in the here and now. Looking around his large form, she saw her brother beating Sam into the floor. 

"NO!" Sally twisted her arms free of Bucky and lunged at her brother. "He is your friend and isn't a super soldier. Stop this. You want to beat someone up, I am right here Steve. Blame me. Fight me. Hurt ME." 

Steve stood up and gave his sister a disappointed look before turning and leaving. Bucky seemed to notice the torn shirt that Sally had on. It showed several bruises on her arm in varying levels of healing. "Sally, I am sorry. I didn't mean to-" 

"I get it Buck. I do. I just can't do this right now. Sam is in pain and needs to be looked after."

"I know. Let me know if you need any help. I will be there in a heartbeat. He didn't deserve the beating that Steve gave him. Neither did I but, he is your brother so, it is to be expected."

Sally nodded again before helping Sam up. She got him into his room and helped him ice his hands as well as his face. "I have to be heading out. You okay in here or would you like me to get someone for you?"

"Not until you tell me where you're off to. You have been disappearing more and more frequently. Are you sure you're okay?"

Sally nodded and gave Sam a soft smile. No sense in worrying the man more than he already was. After bidding him good night, she slipped into a spare room and wrote a small note. Leaving it on the breakfast counter, she left to finish the last of her mission.

If you are reading this, then it means the mission took longer than I expected. I love you all and wanted to thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to everything. I may or may not be returning, all depends on their plans. See you all eventually, one way or another. Don't worry about me. I will be just fine, I always am. Stay safe!
Love,
Sally