40.

Steve and Yelena both gasped loudly before opening their eyes. They found themselves on either side of Wanda as she looked around the neutral colored room they had appeared in. 

"Where are we?" Yelena questioned as she looked out the window. 

When Steve moved beside her, he knew immediately. "This is the house Sally stayed at while finishing high school. I was already going through basic and on my way to becoming Captain America."

Just then, they heard the door open. "Sally dear, is that you?" 

"Of course! I have a little homework and then I will be able to help with dinner if that's okay?"

"Of course dear! I told you, you don't need to help with dinner."

Steve looked away guiltily. "She was a much better cook than me. I used to love all the things she would make me. Bucky would often join us too. It was always Sally and I. Bucky was usually there but Sally never really had any true friends that would ask her to come out with them or anything." Before they got the chance to see Sally, the scene was shifting. 

"Oh wow! This is the Thanksgiving Sally made all of us a dinner. It was Me, Buck, Peggy, Howard, and Sally. She outdid herself and we found ourselves stuffed. It was also about the time I noticed Bucky glancing towards who I thought was Peggy, but look." All three stood behind Bucky and watched as he stared at Sally, who was next to Peggy. 

"I couldn't cook like this if I had the recipe and a full kitchen staff. This is incredible Sally. Who taught you to do this?" 

Sally was blushing and looking at her plate. Steve noticed how the other him was doing nothing but watching Peggy so he missed when Howard gripped his sister's hand and gave her a reassuring squeeze before going back to his food. Glancing at his best friend, he saw that the gesture hadn't gone unnoticed by him. Bucky raised a brow at the pair and Sally subtly shook her head no. Bucky let it go with another glance leveled at Howard. Bucky had been taking care of his sister while he was staring at the woman who had betrayed his only family. 

Wanda was running her fingers through Sally's curls and smiling at how sweet the girl looked. "She was so tiny. She is still small but, this is something else." 

Yelena glared at Peggy like she wanted nothing more than to rip her to pieces with her bare hands. Before she could say or do anything though, the scene shifted yet again. 

This time, Sally was dancing around an obvious room in the barracks at the last base he had been at. Steve knew it like the back of his hand, though he didn't know his sister's room was on base like this. She was singing and laughing, getting herself put together. 

There was a knock at the door that had the trio turning to face it, all still smiling at the happy Sally. She told Howard to come in like it could never be anyone else which made Steve's chest constrict. He saw the look on Howard's face but paused when he realized Sally didn't register him. 

"I was thinking that we should put a word in to have Bucky and Steve both off. Do you think it is still early enough for them to both get the day? I saw this amazing compass that reminded me of a watch Bucky used to have. I was thinking about getting it for him as a belated birthday present. Do you think he would like it? I got Steve and Peggy reservations for this weekend at the dance hall. I know he has been trying to ask her out so, I thought it might be a nice way to give him a nudge. What do you th-" Sally had finally turned to face Howard but it wasn't Howard that held her attention. All three visitors gasped when they saw the two in uniform behind Howard. Sally dropped and Howard ran to her. They hadn't just informed her of her brother but also one James Barnes. She told Howard to leave. She curled up in a ball and cried for two days. She barely moved at all. After another two days she got up and went to the door. There was a meal sitting outside the door so she ate it. It went like that for another week and a half before she stepped outside the room. She found the nearest person and asked them to let Agent Carter know Sally Rogers was looking for her.